Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 05:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softcore PK [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I like thinking about teams. It won't happen, and at this point it would be bad for the server.
I was unaware that you were both a developer and a doomsayer prophet.

I think it's awfully disingenuous to say that a great Classic mechanic that would solve many of the major problems that R99 is currently experiencing would be bad for the server without providing any evidence, reasons, or even guesses why.

Teams fit neatly into your paradigm of no-exp-increase, as well as greatly enhancing the server lore. Why else would there be so much fighting and conflict? Add in guild wars and it's one size fits all.

edit: I have to say I do like the RP idea but there are few enough GMs as it is, and it's totally unenforceable. Perhaps joining a heavy RP guild would improve both of our fortunes on R99.
Last edited by Slave; 01-01-2012 at 05:31 PM..
Old 01-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slave [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Teams fit neatly into your paradigm of no-exp-increase, as well as greatly enhancing the server lore. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slave
-Teams:
Ogre/Wood Elf/High Elves/Dark Elves VS
Humans/Barbarians/Erudites/Dwarves VS
Trolls/Gnomes/Halflings/Half-Elves
Quote:
Yes, that's so much what I'm like. Proposing a Classic solution to the server population problem ...
Quote:
-Teams:
Ogre/Wood Elf/High Elves/Dark Elves VS
Humans/Barbarians/Erudites/Dwarves VS
Trolls/Gnomes/Halflings/Half-Elves
Thanks for another quality suggestion Wehrmahct.
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Old 01-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazortag [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for another quality suggestion Wehrmahct.
I am not Wehrmahct, and I am still waiting for your idea of balanced teams without - OH MY FUCKING GOD - putting ogres and other 'bad guys' in with some non-evil races. Of course you don't mention that current ARAC guilds and server is far, far more out of line with the lore. That would be downright honest and insightful. Lazortroll is obvious.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slave [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am not Wehrmahct
I wasn't 100% sure if you were Wehrmacht or not, but I'm going to keep calling you Wehrmacht because if you dig deep in these forums you'll find he's the only other person dumb enough to suggest putting half elves and trolls on the same team. You also both share that annoying trait where you don't respond to the bulk of what others say when you argue with them.

My post wasn't about balance, it was about lore and classicness, which are two points you lose on. Having dark elves with high elves is horrible for lore:

Quote:
Innoruuk discovered Norrath shortly after the First Pact of the Gods. He was infuriated when he discovered that his fellow gods had populated a world and formed a pact without his knowledge. His rage focused on Tunare, as he sought his revenge at her expense. Innoruuk corrupted the first King and Queen of Tunare's beloved Elves. He took them into his Plane of Hate and tortured them for 300 years, twisting them and slowly filling them with hate, until he finally had the beginnings of his contribution to Norrath - a sinister race known as the Teir'Dal, or dark elves.
Yeah, I could totally imagine high elves being on the same team as dark elves, both unable to kill each other. That makes a lot of sense and would be great for my immersion.

As for balance, sorry to be flippant, but who gives a fuck? The independent variable that decides whether a single team dominates the server is the skill of the players on that team and the number of players on that team. It has little to do with class selection. Didn't the evil team win SZ, despite not having Bards, pallies, rangers, druids, etc.? (EDIT: it was pointed out that I was completely wrong about this; sorry, I didn't play on SZ. I believe my point still stands though and that the evil team's success wasn't because of class selection)

Lastly, you can't just add teams after the server has been FFA for so long. You would either (a) have guilds composed of members of more than one team, which is dumb, or (b) break up guilds previously composed of members of more than one team - in other words, EVERY SINGLE GUILD. I would lose pretty much all of my officers except Nellodee (since half elves and gnomes are all on the same team - nevermind the fact that Nell is evil and I'm not). It would be devastating for the server. If ruining the server were its own video game, your idea would be the final boss.

PS: Disagreeing with you doesn't make me a troll.
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Last edited by Lazortag; 01-01-2012 at 06:56 PM..
Old 01-01-2012, 06:16 PM
Banned

0% chance I read the above 2 pages of posts by Slave and Lazortag, confirmed retard helmet wearers
Old 01-01-2012, 06:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cast [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I can't read, therefore, anyone who can write is a helmet wearer.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:20 PM
Banned

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-01-2012, 06:36 PM
Planar Protector

SZ evil team got bards fyi :P
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazortag [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
that annoying trait where you don't respond to the bulk of what others say when you argue with them.
I can only assume you are saying this for the immense lulz with the cognitive dissonance you incur on your immortal soul for even thinking it, let alone posting it for the entire forum to see.

Quote:
As for balance, sorry to be flippant, but who gives a fuck?
Everyone who has ever played on a PvP server before in their lives. Balance is the most important thing to consider when discussing teams. Else we get servers like Sullon Zek where the one team with massive advantages predictably have more than 50% of the server population.

Quote:
The independent variable that decides whether a single team dominates the server is the skill of the players on that team and the number of players on that team. It has little to do with class selection. Didn't the evil team win SZ, despite not having Bards, pallies, rangers, druids, etc.?
The evil team had Bards. I honestly don't know what game you were playing. Paladins, Druids, Rangers... you're kidding, right? Evil had Trolls and Ogres, the best two races for every single class they qualify for. Not to mention Shadowknights and Necromancers, because that would imply knowledge of the PvP game, and that is something you most assuredly do not own. The best and most players chose the evil team because the best (and most) players choose the team allowing them the most power. Not because they wanted to be different and awesome. Like... what are you even trying to say?

All you have done so far is to attempt to discredit decent, real ideas for positive change with an incomplete and totally antilogical 'lore' argument... ARAC stands for All Races, All Classes, and that is exactly what we have here at the moment. What exactly is it in your head that allows you to say that even partially limiting that is worse than having ARAC, according to lore? Like... WHAT are you even trying to say?

Quote:
you can't just add teams after the server has been FFA for so long.
The server has been out for just over a month. You are seriously saying that we should just let it die at the current rapid rate rather than make a change that would still allow every person to keep their current characters. Mixing up the guilds is a very small price to pay for server health. You would gain as many as you lost as long as the teams were balanced. You would have realized this very quickly were you not so quick to vehemently disagree with everything anyone says on the forums.

Quote:
You would... break up guilds previously composed of members of more than one team - in other words, EVERY SINGLE GUILD. I would lose pretty much all of my officers except Nellodee (since half elves and gnomes are all on the same team - nevermind the fact that Nell is evil and I'm not).
It's great that you are so extremely attached to someone after playing with them for a month... now expand that into an entire server of people with teammates to group with, players to befriend and defend. People who chose to not join a guild, which are very commonly led by such vile and vitriolic people as yourself, comprise most of what this server started with. Yet they found no home to protect, no community to belong to. Teams will remedy this immediately.

Quote:
It would be devastating for the server.
Why?
Last edited by Slave; 01-01-2012 at 06:38 PM..
Planar Protector

if i remember right which i prob dont but teams were...
wood/high/halfelf
gnome/dwarf/halfling
ogre/troll/dark elf/iksar
human/barb/erudite

I still have no idea how ogres and wood elves are in the same team but lolz