Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 08-01-2023, 09:23 AM
Planar Protector

Good players don't need snap aggro in their groups, making War vastly superior for non-shitters.

And they just get better and better the further into lategame you get.

This isn't even a discussion outside of SSF / ALS stuff.
Old 08-01-2023, 09:24 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Good players don't need snap aggro in their groups, making War vastly superior for non-shitters.

And they just get better and better the further into lategame you get.
Good players don't need a lot of things. Having snap agro is still better than not having it.

I am not sure why this is an issue. Nobody is saying Warriors are bad tanks in XP groups. They just don't fill the role as well as Paladins/SK's, which is factually true. Warriors simply don't have as many tools in their toolkit for XP groups. You aren't using Warrior discs.

What advantage does a group have with a Warrior over a Paladin or SK in an XP group?

As I said before, it is generally better to level a Warrior as a tank, because they can tank hard content better with Discs at 60. But while you are leveling, they aren't doing that kind of tanking. If you are in a static group aiming for level 60, then Warrior is probably going to be better. Not because they are going to be the better tank while leveling, but because your group is planning on getting to 60. They want the benefit of having Warrior Discs at 60.

Normal XP groups such as pickup groups or guild groups don't have this static group expectation, so there is no reason to prefer a Warrior over an SK/Paladin.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 08-01-2023 at 09:53 AM..
Old 08-01-2023, 09:28 AM
Sarnak

Shaman is best exp group tank, by a longshot
Old 08-01-2023, 09:49 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Good players don't need a lot of things. Having snap agro is still better than not having it.

I am not sure why this is an issue. Nobody is saying Warriors are bad tanks in XP groups. They just don't fill the role as well as Paladins/SK's, which is factually true. Warriors simply don't have as many tools in their toolkit for XP groups. You aren't using Warrior discs.

What advantage does a group have with a Warrior over a Paladin or SK in an XP group?
The great thing about groups is they aren’t about individual classes tool kits, but about the combination of tool kits of all characters.

To look at classes individually is way too basic.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 08-01-2023, 09:58 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The great thing about groups is they aren’t about individual classes tool kits, but about the combination of tool kits of all characters.

To look at classes individually is way too basic.
If your group wants to pull with Feign Death, you need a Feign Death class.

You need to look at classes when forming a group, because different classes have different abilities.

I don't stigmatize classes. I am happy to bring a Warrior in to my XP group. That doesn't mean Warriors are the best XP group tanks. Warriors aren't using their Discs in XP groups, and Paladins/SK's have more tools.

What are people arguing about here? I don't think anybody disagrees that Warriors have less tools in their toolkit when they are not using Discs. Paladins and SK's can simply do more in XP groups when you don't need Warrior Discs.
Old 08-01-2023, 10:03 AM
Planar Protector

"normal xp" groups dont need any specific puller you just run into full rooms at a time and bring them back to be CC'd

If I'm building a trio its gonna be war or monk, not paladin / SK.

Zerk dps is nutty.
Old 08-01-2023, 10:06 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"normal xp" groups dont need any specific puller you just run into full rooms at a time and bring them back to be CC'd

If I'm building a trio its gonna be war or monk, not paladin / SK.

Zerk dps is nutty.
I think you are missing the title of the thread. "90% of the games content" is XP group content. That is the vast majority of content in the game.

A Paladin or SK can also face pull rooms for CC, while also having other abilities. Warriors have no special ability that allows them to face pull rooms better, so I am not sure why you think Warriors have any advantage here.

With a Paladin or SK, you have the option to pull with FD, lull, root, etc. if your group thinks it's necessary. You also have snap agro when mistakes happen. Assuming your group will never make a mistake is silly.

Having more options is better than having less options.

If you are building a static group, that is not the same as a pickup group or XP group. I am not sure why you keep bringing that up. I agree with you that static groups can do whatever they want, because every player in the group has already agreed upon the goal of said static group.

I agree zerking DPS is great. But if you are tanking, you are not zerking, since you are getting healed.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 08-01-2023 at 10:11 AM..
Old 08-01-2023, 10:08 AM
Planar Protector

I find in xp groups I rarely use FD on sk or monk these days. They are insatiable xp devourers. That was the context of the discussion when I made my posts, I appreciate in broader contexts FD is useful.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 08-01-2023, 10:37 AM
Planar Protector

You all are devoting a lot of time trying to educate a troll.

Btw, every physical hit a dps takes is their fault, assuming the tank is doing all they can. Don’t waste heals, rez them and let them ponder the circumstances that lead them to looting their corpse.
Old 08-01-2023, 10:44 AM
Planar Protector

There is legitimately no reason a warrior is ever considered good
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior