Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 03:17 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmas [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't know if you have to wipe it, but teams would be such a win.
Darks
Shorts
Humans
Elves

Getting rid of the xp PvP death was a good move, only wish it had started that way. XP death encourages griefing and discourages more casual players from being on a PvP server.
I played VZ live and 4 team didn't work there super cross team fest and you think it will work on a 100-200 pop emu server. Maybe 2 or 3 teams could work, but basically you can expect all people in an existing guild to just all jump on 1 of the teams. Hard coded teams helps low lvl people because they have some people that can't attack them so they can find groups easier; however at end game it causes bigger problems than ffa because it either causes cross team guilds or causes one team to be dominant and other teams to have more people quit at top levels

Early into VZ 4team it became light vs dark aka 3 teams vs 1 team
Later into VZ teams became totally ignored and 4 team guilds dominated

Elf team completely worthless lacking monks, sks, necros, shamans
Short Team almost as bad lacking monks, sks, shamans, bards, rangers

darks get the most people due to stat advantages of large race tanks and only lose rangers, druids, paladins

A 2 or 3 team server where every team has access to every mandatory class aka: cleric, warrior, bard, monk, shaman, enchanter

most of these can already be evil, neutral, good with maybe exception of monk and shaman? I think sullen zek had to give them access to additional deities to allow monk to be neutral and shaman good or something or other. Maybe even take it a step further and allow human paladin, druid, ranger to be evil and some race sk, necro to be neutral / good. It seems to defy lore, but 1st who cares about RP from PVP standpoint and 2nd there are extremes in all classes aka a paladin zealot that executes people in the name of his god or whatever. A gnome necromancer who is researching death as a means to extend life etc etc. I don't RP so these are limited examples but should get my point across
Last edited by Edgat; 08-20-2013 at 03:24 PM..
Old 08-20-2013, 04:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I played VZ live and 4 team didn't work there super cross team fest and you think it will work on a 100-200 pop emu server. Maybe 2 or 3 teams could work, but basically you can expect all people in an existing guild to just all jump on 1 of the teams. Hard coded teams helps low lvl people because they have some people that can't attack them so they can find groups easier; however at end game it causes bigger problems than ffa because it either causes cross team guilds or causes one team to be dominant and other teams to have more people quit at top levels

Early into VZ 4team it became light vs dark aka 3 teams vs 1 team
Later into VZ teams became totally ignored and 4 team guilds dominated

Elf team completely worthless lacking monks, sks, necros, shamans
Short Team almost as bad lacking monks, sks, shamans, bards, rangers

darks get the most people due to stat advantages of large race tanks and only lose rangers, druids, paladins

A 2 or 3 team server where every team has access to every mandatory class aka: cleric, warrior, bard, monk, shaman, enchanter

most of these can already be evil, neutral, good with maybe exception of monk and shaman? I think sullen zek had to give them access to additional deities to allow monk to be neutral and shaman good or something or other. Maybe even take it a step further and allow human paladin, druid, ranger to be evil and some race sk, necro to be neutral / good. It seems to defy lore, but 1st who cares about RP from PVP standpoint and 2nd there are extremes in all classes aka a paladin zealot that executes people in the name of his god or whatever. A gnome necromancer who is researching death as a means to extend life etc etc. I don't RP so these are limited examples but should get my point across
You cannot possibly switch an existing server to set teams.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:15 PM
Banned

shut yo whore mouf boy
Old 08-21-2013, 01:07 PM
Banned

If i forget about friday:

Heres what i think created big problems for red99:

Staff not realizing (or not acting upon) that letting a zerg guild a free reign into farming raid zones for months was a bad idea, and not realizing or not acting upon that xp loss in pvp made the server in practice a PVE server with 5% of your time spent pvping. I dont play pvp games to pvp 5% of the time. More casual/less knowledgeable people like me didnt give a fuck that item x was put on farm status by an exploit by some player whos grinding them levels hard and way beyond to the level point where i was at. What i did give a fuck about was not alot of people were pvping, making it a boring server compared to Rallos.

Having devs who dont play the server, its especially important to listen to player feedback, and that means unfortunatly trying to weed out what is genuine feedback and fake feedback intended to give yourself an advantage (IE Nihilum saying that xp loss in pvp was not a factor in why they were allowed to sit on raid zones for so long, when in fact it meant them being able to put raid zones on farm status for months/a year+). Now that the main zerg guild has farmed raid zones for months on end, people get discouraged that they will never be able to bridge that gear gap. It was too little, too late.

If there is ever an intention of wiping the server, or starting a new one, heres what i think would have gotten a chance of having numbers close to blue (back in autumn 2011, now that weve burned part of the potential pop, im not sure what numbers can be brought around again):

- 4 lvl pvp, FFA

- Either item loot with patched in custom sets (especially for melee) to offset the harshness of item loot, letting players have at least a couple decent pieces they could never lose. That or an opt-in "deep red" system where you flag yourself for item loot (with having to wait a week or so to turn it off) and can then loot and be looted by other "deep red" players. Most of the damage would have to be done by a deep red for the body to become ready to be looted.

The reason for this is because it gives a purpose to pvp, beyond that "its fun to pvp". 4 noobs with no gear can down a hard twink thats been pissing them off for the last 2 hours and get a really nice piece of gear as a victory prize. It will create an economy for low level items, letting noobs be able to sell the stuff they get along the leveling path.

- No xp loss in pvp

- Custom events, like the Halloween event of 2001, that spawn special mobs in zones that drop no drop loot. Not just level 60 mobs. It creates excitement, it creates fun pvp. Ideally these things can be coded just once, and they are usable an unlimited amount of times by GMs. OR, it can be a quest that doesnt even need GM involvment, like say, gather 20 items of this type, bring it to that NPC, and it spawns event mobs in that zone over there.

- Guards that work

- Resists closer to classic

----

I dont think i will ever play EQ1 ever again after being burned on red, for the record. I will probably mess around with velious when it comes out. I would only entertain the idea of playing on a new P99 server if the xp was shot through the roof to accelerate the leveling, and i mean like 10 times+. Sometimes i dont think the devs realize the amount of time thats needed to be put in for you to level up a character if you dont box a PLer. Thats the people who this slow xp grind advantages. The ones running virtual private networks. It was fine the first time around, but i would not be going through that again, gambling that all these hours put in will pay off in the end, and not end up in a dead server. Im pretty sure theres alot of people on the same boat.
Last edited by Tradesonred; 08-21-2013 at 01:25 PM..
Old 08-21-2013, 02:58 PM
Planar Protector

lol, everyone wants more servers... stupid as hell, how many ways do you want to split the population? Before long we'd have "preferred servers" ahead of P99 for population.

Will definitely catch the highlights, it starts at 2AM locally for me... and work starts at 6AM [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-22-2013, 01:55 AM
Planar Protector

All of my thoughts can be found here - http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...d.php?t=119456
Old 08-22-2013, 04:18 AM
Banned

yes let the people decide! Democracy!
Old 08-22-2013, 09:49 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradesonred [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
- Custom events, like the Halloween event of 2001, that spawn special mobs in zones that drop no drop loot. Not just level 60 mobs. It creates excitement, it creates fun pvp. Ideally these things can be coded just once, and they are usable an unlimited amount of times by GMs. OR, it can be a quest that doesnt even need GM involvment, like say, gather 20 items of this type, bring it to that NPC, and it spawns event mobs in that zone over there.
^^ This. I remember back on live when I was maybe level 20 or so, fighting special mobs in WC for Halloween and getting some pretty decent equips for my character and being really excited about it. It was one of the only times I was able to get decent equipment without having a high level toon to farm shit or pp to buy everything I needed. Was awesome.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:18 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Due to IRL reasons, this has been rescheduled to Saturday, August 31st, at 9:00 PM Eastern.

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 08-22-2013, 05:09 PM
Planar Protector

why

-Shinko Guild Leader <Safe Space> Green
Closed Thread