Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 12:37 PM
Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by xblade724 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was actually being constructive with a valid point inside of my reply based on experience -- how is this more relevant or even constructive at all ?
You need me to explain why my post is relevant? It's to keep other people from making posts similar to yours. I'm telling you to positively contribute, or take it elsewhere.

The rhetorical nature of your questions makes me.. Oh, here, the rest of your post is exactly what I'm saying.
Quote:
Okay, for those that can't figure it out ... what does traveling all over the world to find 0 population and groups after wasting 3 hours of LFG all have in common? I'll give you 3 guesses guyz.
All complaints with no constructive feedback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladigan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey Nil, the trick is to see past the complaining to what the actual point is, behind most complaints is criticism, just most people don't know how to make a proper statement.
This ^
Old 12-29-2011, 12:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You need me to explain why my post is relevant? It's to keep other people from making posts similar to yours. I'm telling you to positively contribute, or take it elsewhere.

The rhetorical nature of your questions makes me.. Oh, here, the rest of your post is exactly what I'm saying.
All complaints with no constructive feedback?

This ^
I don't mind the lack of OOC. It's not bad. I think the only thing Red99 is suffering from is the lack of people finding groups.

At this stage in the game, P99 had like 800 people playing. That's a pretty big difference between populations at the lower level side of the game.

I think the LFG search function could be pretty cool. Any type of global OOC/Shout/Auction will be abused though. I mean, I should know, I'm a metatroll.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:08 PM
Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlegyno 6.0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't mind the lack of OOC. It's not bad. I think the only thing Red99 is suffering from is the lack of people
I agree. I believe most of the problems associated with finding groups would be resolved with more players in general.

I do not believe the root cause of lower population is global ooc or the exp rate. Modifying the rulesets/features are experiments that can be done with the existing playerbase. Bringing back 15 people, or adding 15 people is not what you guys need for active pvp though.

You need X amount more players.. and X needs to be generated from a pool larger than these forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Have you guys tried asking other people to play? There are a variety of free mmorpg forums on the internet. Smedy made youtube quality videos that can be linked.

We don't advertise r99/p99 because we spend most/all of our time managing and developing them.

Before the p99 launch, and months following, members were posting on their old forums, and gaming forums in general to get more attention. This could have helped a lot with popularity.

I did a quick google search of.. free pvp, free mmorpg, mmorpg pvp, etc and came up with these results.

http://forum.mmosite.com/board/2-3.html
http://www.gameogre.com/forums/
http://www.f2p.com/
http://www.mmo-champion.com/forum.php
http://www.onrpg.com/boards

Make some threads there? Tell people the server just started and is prekunark pvp? Just a thought. This was < 5 minutes worth of effort. I imagine there are hundreds or thousands of places to mention the server.

Do not advertise on any soe forum.

Can someone willing to translate Korean PM me?
Old 12-29-2011, 01:26 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
I agree. I believe most of the problems associated with finding groups would be resolved with more players in general.

I do not believe the root cause of lower population is global ooc or the exp rate. Modifying the rulesets/features are experiments that can be done with the existing playerbase. Bringing back 15 people, or adding 15 people is not what you guys need for active pvp though.
If you dont beleive people telling you its the xp loss thats crapping the server, which is supposed to be a pvp server, try it on individual zones on a rotation. I cant see Rallos Zek'ers, who used to pvp all day, enjoying this poopsocking xp loss thing.

To me its obvious, theres too much of a harsh penalty on dying, so people dont pvp. Its pretty simple.

Even some people who dont acknowledge that xp loss is a factor are saying the grind is harsh. I cant understand why they cant see the corelation, but heh.

"But people will bindrush like fags blablabla" Yea, you will get alot more pvp. Just like on Rallos.

Either xp loss is a nonfactor or its a deterrent to dying in pvp, its one or the other. I cant remember exactly but im pretty sure some of the same people are saying that xp loss is necessary to prevent bindrushing but at the same time that its a nonfactor, theres a cognitive dissonance there where they cant really say what they think.

Its pretty late though to salvage all this, you need some sort of critical mass where pvp is happening and people are telling people "Hey join this server, we are having lots of fun". Thats why i pushed hard in the beginning to have xp loss removed, now im just moving on, not my sort of server, not a Rallos emulation.

I cant go advertising on forums to "join this server cuz its lots of fun" cuz id be lying.

Sorry to be a party pooper like this, just giving some feedback. I really wanted to get the Rallos experience i had back in 2001 but its not happening. Ill come back if it ever gets better, but again i dont see that happening unless xp loss is removed.

Im assuming you guys just code, and dont play the server. Apart from a few people, i doubt grinding is enjoyable once youve done it on blue on one character and the "relive EQ" glitter is gone.

Some of us rolled here to pvp, and xp loss is making the pve grind even worse. Theres no room to take a break from pve, to say just gonna pvp for a couple of days, because then youre set back in the pve grind youre not interested in doing in the first place. So you just try to burn to 50 and then burn out at 30 like i did. Or join a zerg guild like holocaust and lulz10v3xploss people. That was another problem, on rallos, it would never matter how many there was on the opposing zerg, youd always get a revenge chance by going back there and harrassing the group that killed you. You removed that form of guerilla action with xp loss and placed all the power with zergs.
Last edited by oldfish; 12-29-2011 at 02:02 PM..
Old 12-29-2011, 01:26 PM
Kobold

It would be nice to have the ability to make and join channels, circa Velious era. Not necessarily serverwide ooc, but there are many guilds that are friendly with eachother and it would be great to be able to make a channel to connect with people in.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:05 PM
Project Manager

Constructive feedback does not mean voice your biggest complaints.

I hope the pvp community can find a spokesperson to deliver concerns in a more constructive manner. I just don't have the time to siphon feedback out of all the complaining, sorry. By the time I'm done reading a post I often don't care if anything gets changed or not, simply because of how it was addressed.

Someone lead these people out of the darkness.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:06 PM
Banned

Quote:

I hope the pvp community can find a spokesperson to deliver concerns in a more constructive manner. I just don't have the time to siphon feedback out of all the complaining, sorry. By the time I'm done reading a post I often don't care if anything gets changed or not, simply because of how it was addressed.

I will step up as the Red Spokesman my lord. I will scour the internet for video games and present the server and Smedy videos to try to entice people to play.

In the Emperor's name, amen.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:10 PM
Sarnak

Quote:

If you cant sort out the feedback from my post because i said "im quitting because pvp is not happening and this isnt a Rallos server", well its your loss, because that was 75% feedback.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlegyno 6.0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I will step up as the Red Spokesman my lord. I will scour the internet for video games and present the server and Smedy videos to try to entice people to play.

In the Emperor's name, amen.
Also I will compile a google doc of people's complaints and their rationales for you my lord.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:15 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you dont beleive people telling you its the xp loss thats crapping the server, which is supposed to be a pvp server, try it on individual zones on a rotation. I cant see Rallos Zek'ers, who used to pvp all day, enjoying this poopsocking xp loss thing.

To me its obvious, theres too much of a harsh penalty on dying, so people dont pvp. Its pretty simple.

Even some people who dont acknowledge that xp loss is a factor are saying the grind is harsh. I cant understand why they cant see the corelation, but heh.

"But people will bindrush like fags blablabla" Yea, you will get alot more pvp. Just like on Rallos.

Either xp loss is a nonfactor or its a deterrent to dying in pvp, its one or the other. I cant remember exactly but im pretty sure some of the same people are saying that xp loss is necessary to prevent bindrushing but at the same time that its a nonfactor, theres a cognitive dissonance there where they cant really say what they think.

Its pretty late though to salvage all this, you need some sort of critical mass where pvp is happening and people are telling people "Hey join this server, we are having lots of fun". Thats why i pushed hard in the beginning to have xp loss removed, now im just moving on, not my sort of server, not a Rallos emulation.

I cant go advertising on forums to "join this server cuz its lots of fun" cuz id be lying.

Sorry to be a party pooper like this, just giving some feedback. I really wanted to get the Rallos experience i had back in 2001 but its not happening. Ill come back if it ever gets better, but again i dont see that happening unless xp loss is removed.

Im assuming you guys just code, and dont play the server. Apart from a few people, i doubt grinding is enjoyable once youve done it on blue on one character and the "relive EQ" glitter is gone.

Some of us rolled here to pvp, and xp loss is making the pve grind even worse. Theres no room to take a break from pve, to say just gonna pvp for a couple of days, because then youre set back in the pve grind youre not interested in doing in the first place. So you just try to burn to 50 and then burn out at 30 like i did. Or join a zerg guild like holocaust and lulz10v3xploss people. That was another problem, on rallos, it would never matter how many there was on the opposing zerg, youd always get a revenge chance by going back there and harrassing the group that killed you. You removed that form of guerilla action with xp loss and placed all the power with zergs.
Feedback in black, just to illustrate what im saying. Some non-black could arguably be feedback but left it nonetheless.
Closed Thread