Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Kobold

yea sersiously move this to failed project red server chat. can't you tell not many people really want to play red. even with the downtimes on blue it still didn't cause everyone to go red. you will only cause the already irate players to completely stop playing.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houdiny [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I myself have never understood the appeal of PvP. I mean I get the competition thing. But why do it in MMO's. MMO's nowadays focus on it so much because it does bring a large crowd. I have always felt that if I crave throttling someone in competition I will go play Mortal Kombat or something. Or Counterstrike, or any number of a bajillion FPS's out there.
Fighting other player's is far more competitive than fighting AI's. When you kill someone, you get a sense of accomplishment that killing an AI could never match. When you die, it'll feel like it actually mattered.

I could never imagine not doing what I wanted to do because a guild got there before me. In pvp, you can fight for the right to the zone. No "poop socking"(Never even heard of this term until reading blue forums).

PvP is definitely not for everyone, as proven on these blue forums. Many of the people here have tried pvp in one game or another and probably got their shit pushed in. So much so that they actually are offended and scared by the mere mention of pvp, as demonstrated in this thread.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlvarex [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If WoW weren't such a level/gear dependent game, I'd love the "role-playing" aspect of PVP. But as it is now it's hard to compete with anyone unless you put a lot of time into your characters. Like, a *lot* of time.
Fixt.

EQ is much less gear-dependent on the whole than most mmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledorf View Post
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messianic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Fixt.

In classic for sure. The advantage that raid gear gives in classic is very small when compared to other easily farmable or purchasable gear.

Everquest pvp starts becoming more gear dependent with Kunark and even more so in Velious.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Fire Giant

I never played WoW PVP. The only MMORPG PVP I played was in DAOC, and I loved that (didn't play Secrets of Atlantis...or whatever it was that added UBER RR's).

I could see classic EQ being fairly fair PVP wise. But Kunark? Twinked Monks, people with Fungi's? I'm just not seeing how anyone could stand a chance against a twinked Kunarkian melee.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:01 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messianic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Fixt.

Even tho EQ started the loot race in modern mmos. Also try to pvp as a melee without a lot of MR and then tell me how gear-dependent this game is.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:15 PM
Planar Protector

Level 19 druid LFG
Old 08-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannacore [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Level 19 druid LFG
Sweet deal bro
Old 08-10-2012, 01:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawll [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Even tho EQ started the loot race in modern mmos. Also try to pvp as a melee without a lot of MR and then tell me how gear-dependent this game is.
Lemme repeat so I don't get another poor response to a point I wasn't making.

On the whole, EQ is far less gear dependent than other mmos. Especially in a PvP setting.

Now take a fresh max-level character in EQ and compare a max-level character who has had time to gear up in terms of their PvP potential. Do the same for other MMOs. The relevance of your attempt to find the most extreme case vanishes when compared to its greater context.

Try to PvP as a Fresh 80 vs a geared 80 in WoW pvp - as any class, melee or whatever (as your example is limited to pure melee vs caster) - then come back and tell me how gear-dependent EQ is. This is probably true of any modern MMOs because later MMOs made more strongly defined gear stratification at the higher levels. EQ did this poorly because it was the first to do it - the reward you get for your work is far less, and therefore most people prefer the WoW-style easy gratification MMO, because a well-geared 80 stomps the daylights out of a fresh 80 without any effort or skill.

In EQ, the game doesn't begin at max-level because the upgrades really don't make as much a difference in terms of raw power. You are likely still using items that you could acquire in your 20s, 30s and 40s (runed bone fork, Sarnak Emblazoned Tabard, etc cheap resist gear). That's why your example sucks anyhow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledorf View Post
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlvarex [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I never played WoW PVP. The only MMORPG PVP I played was in DAOC, and I loved that (didn't play Secrets of Atlantis...or whatever it was that added UBER RR's).

I could see classic EQ being fairly fair PVP wise. But Kunark? Twinked Monks, people with Fungi's? I'm just not seeing how anyone could stand a chance against a twinked Kunarkian melee.
and then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawll [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

One post about unstopable kunark melee, the next about how gimp the melee is without stacked up MR. That pretty much illustrates that power is always in the eye of the beholder.

On red99, every class has their roles and is competitive in pvp. Especially thanks to Null's well thought out resist system. Its very balanced so that there wont ever be this HUGE imbalance between melee and caster.

So set yourself free and play what you want.
Closed Thread