Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 09:54 AM
Orc

hindsight is 20/20.

That being said, I recall players all giddy about the PoK teleport books because it meant no more looking for a druid/wizzy and no more donations.

Same with the potions, and other things that came out.

They all seemed like great ideas that solved the things we found annoying in the game, that looking back now we find made the game what it was.

Death penalties, EQ2 tried to soften the blow, but in the end as with the games that followed (ie: WoW) lack of death penalty, for lack of a better term, pussified the game. "Just run in and attack, no biggie, we can see what happenes and change tactics with each try".

We all got happy when we looted that rare loot from a mob on a raid. We had something that not everyone had. Later games took that away for the most part and made everything obtainable with just a little effort. Maybe they had a rare loot, but the stats of it weren't all that different from what everyone else could obtain. Again. this was stuff many comlained about in EQ, but seeing what it has become you realize there was excitement in those rare loots.

EQ did a lot of things right, but at the time, people found certain things annoying or frustrating, and thought it would be better if it was different. Once different was offered, we realized what made EQ the draw that it did.

But how do you add content, without destroying the original content. It is a game developers nemesis to have to add to his/her game.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:10 AM
Banned

Default The moment

IT went wrong the moment Wow came. IT was the end of EQ community and people envolved into WOW shitards , when they came back to EQ they converted them all into faggots
Old 01-12-2012, 10:44 AM
Planar Protector

I left to go play Dark Age of Camelot in October 2001. EQ never felt the same when I came back.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Banned

luclin, PoP exponentially
Old 01-12-2012, 11:19 AM
Kobold

I wouldn't say "EQ went wrong," it's still a successful game. So to say it failed, we are blinded by our one sided "classic or die" opinion.

The game didn't fail, it just changed, not instantaneously (well kinda, stats drastically changed when GoD came out), but over time. People are still paying to play it, and it's numerous expansions.

What happens when we get to the point when Velious is capped out? What happens when there's nothing more to do, just the same thing over and over? Make another toon? Twink it to hell and back? Get bored and quit, or release a new expansion, and retain players? That's all EQ did, try to retain it's players (Marketing) and keep the shareholders happy.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:20 AM
Orc

I agree with a few of you guys that what made EQ great was the need for community and to rely on each other. The Bazaar turned people into robots. It also eliminated the rarity of a lot of items - much like the Internet did to baseball cards.

PoK books made the world feel much smaller. Running from Grobb to Freeport on a level 1 troll used to be an awesome achievement - now it's a 300 ft walk and 2 clicks. There's also kind of a natural progression to these types of video games. I remember thinking the ghoul lord was difficult for a group of 40's, then I was soloing it, then I was 3 manning Kunark dragons, etc. It cheapens your experience.

I think SOE lost their raiding population when every key became a huge grind, and every fight became a 60 minute epic where one mistake would cause you to spend hours reclearing and trying again. The amount of trash mobs got ridiculous. I remember spending hours and hours clearing trash in Vex Thall and Plane of Earth more than I remember the actual boss fights. WoW gave people a way out, promising to fix every mistake EQ had ever made. Of course it didn't do that, but there were some improvements and the PVP element drew a lot of people towards that game.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by visage [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
IT went wrong the moment Wow came. IT was the end of EQ community and people envolved into WOW shitards , when they came back to EQ they converted them all into faggots
lol

cat people where the flag of downfall i personally played classic-darkhallow or the dragon one idk .. another issue was their whorish pumping of exp that even wow is starting to do i loved pop for some reason and would go back and forth raiding and causaling keeping me gimped in the AA sense but it was a slow death imo that took a major blow on the moon and bled out
Old 01-12-2012, 02:09 PM
Sarnak

I stopped playing around 2005 or 2006 and really liked the planes of knowledge for how simple it made moving around. But at that point in EQ I was not playing with other players. From 1999 to around 2002 I was really active on the Karana sever and the Nameless but never to high of level. I always enjoyed the right of passage it was for my characters to go to places like the oasis and find groups.

But my later on experiences with EQ changed with more content. I remember when Velious came out and the old world and Kunark just died off. And then by the times of the planes the old world was empty except for people factioning or working on epics.

My last few years in EQ my friends and I stayed pretty low level and stayed in lower guk pretty much exclusively. We were bound at the pots in TD and could use those to get to gfay to click the PoK book. I remember buying some clarity potions but it was all about getting KEI and awesome shaman buffs that would last hours.

My highest character was a 55 troll shaman that I didnt level past that just so I could farm AAs in lower guk. Sounds stupid I know but it was fun. My friends where a cleric, a shadow knight, and a monk.

When we would LAN we would set these characters up at some loot spawns. I remember using the Shaman to kill some gnome on the moon behind a locked door. The gnome dropped some boots that sold for like 300 plat. So the shaman would sit in the locked room and kill the gnome, bear form allowed the shaman to pop its head partly out the door. The cleric would then take the boots and sell them. The monk we would stock up with dispell stones and have him solo the efferti in sol b. Then the shadow knight would usually solo some named giant in velious, I don't remember the zone name but it was a huge tower and the shadow knight could single pull him to the bottom.

We would get these guys in their place and then use other computers to play something like Quake or Counterstrike. Maybe just play the Dreamcast or just get drunk and watch the Ali G HBO show.

The end of Everquest came when it just lost its fun. When you can no longer kill the same pixels over and over. And that is what I like and p99. I can kill the same pixels over and over again.

Like how some people replay Chrono Trigger or whatever game, over and over again. Playing p99 is like a trip in the way back machine that is something special.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vondra [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
AAs encouraging you to endlessly continue playing your main, making time spent playing an alt feel like you were wasting time.

Not to mention alienating new players due to a widening disparity in power as a result of this along with a lack of low levels to group with since the majority of people are busy on their max level mains.
This, but the issue wasn't really the Alternate Advancement. This issue was more so how the system was approached and how it STILL has not been overhauled. Its a stupid system, people grind out thousands of AA points to spend on things. Why not just overhaul the system now and make it so that you do not need to grind a million AA points to compare with others.

Yes, I know the less AAs you have the faster they go, but really? Who wants to grind thousands of AA points and spend thousands of AA points? It is dumb. AA, originally an O.K. idea, however, approached very very wrong.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This, but the issue wasn't really the Alternate Advancement. This issue was more so how the system was approached and how it STILL has not been overhauled. Its a stupid system, people grind out thousands of AA points to spend on things. Why not just overhaul the system now and make it so that you do not need to grind a million AA points to compare with others.

Yes, I know the less AAs you have the faster they go, but really? Who wants to grind thousands of AA points and spend thousands of AA points? It is dumb. AA, originally an O.K. idea, however, approached very very wrong.

Took me 24 hours /played to get a toon from level 1 to 85 with 500aa. The grinds not hard aslong as you have friends along the way and xp flies by compared to here. SoE hasnt gone wrong yet in my eyes other then tryin to make the game easier which i can live with for now. With the latest xpac people are complaining it is harder now but in my eyes thats a good thing. The last xpac to come out was a complete joke and any semi serious player had it done in a month.
Closed Thread