Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 08-21-2024, 03:54 PM
Planar Protector

I remember HK Goblins being 3-4 camps. Usually it was split between the floors, but occasionally someone would split the top camp into two camps with the backside area being its own camp.

I legit remember being in a full group and being on the camp2 and we have 4 spawns...4! and nobody complained. we we're all so grateful to be in the group lol.

*Blue Server*
Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)
*PQ*
Kelliam Shadowscale (57 Iksar Necromancer)

Old 08-21-2024, 04:16 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Patch history:

JULY 20, 2000

/Consent no longer gives other players permission to loot your corpse. Instead, it only gives them the ability to drag your corpse using the /corpse command. This change is due to player request stemming from number of customer service issues raised by some players who were using /consent as a way to steal the belongings of other players. The change will eliminate those concerns and make the game more enjoyable for all of those involved.
Where is this from? I know they released patch notes at the time but who curated and stored them for view today? Maybe it's just wrong? July 1999 would make way more sense.

They went out of their way to make pvp consensual specifically because people complained about the full open loot in ultima online so much, who was their only competitor at the time. People were stealing other people's shit using /consent on day 1, seems like it would have been a major complaint immediately.

If it was really over a year then wow that's not what I remember at all.
Old 08-21-2024, 04:48 PM
Planar Protector

Not sure where Zuranthium got his quote from, but our wiki has a fairly complete (if not fully formatted) collection of patch notes.

As you can see here, that patch was an official one, although it wasn't in Allakhazam's collection (I, or whoever did that particular patch note, got it from a Japanese site that also collected patch notes: http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20000720.html).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue or Green servers, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of platinum and/or gear! Send me a forum message for details.
Old 08-21-2024, 05:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciderpress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Where is this from? Maybe it's just wrong? July 1999 would make way more sense.
The baldio patch history is completely accurate. July 20, 2000 is the correct date.

I distinctly remember /consented corpses being lootable throughout pre-Kunark, because it was happening throughout the school year, September 1999 and onward.
Old 08-21-2024, 06:27 PM
Planar Protector

I too recall the /consent thing changing and i started in jan 2000. Never got ripped off personally but heard it happened.
Old 08-22-2024, 12:45 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The baldio patch history is completely accurate. July 20, 2000 is the correct date.

I distinctly remember /consented corpses being lootable throughout pre-Kunark, because it was happening throughout the school year, September 1999 and onward.
I can't really argue with patch notes if they're accurate, but again it's just second hand text now. And "lootable throughout pre-kunark" would mean April of 2000 at the latest, not July.
Old 08-22-2024, 10:30 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelquest [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I remember in mistmoore that the pond hill was camped, the nook over on the other side of the tower had a camp, and the canyon had a camp.

Like, every day and night those 3 spots had a group at them... but I can't imagine that we just that bad and slow back then? That those camps of like 5 or 6 mobs was enough for each group?
As someone who camped in MM back in the day, my best weapon was a combine sword on my bard. I remember getting dual EBW's and thought I was a badass.
Old 08-22-2024, 11:01 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciderpress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"lootable throughout pre-kunark" would mean April of 2000 at the latest, not July.
I never said that was the cutoff date, just that it was definitely active throughout that period. I remember being at school pre-summer of 2000 and having days where I worried about my items being taken, because of consenting my corpse and needing to log off before the people I consented could drag it up from the depths of Lguk.
Old 09-02-2024, 11:13 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
I can't really argue with patch notes if they're accurate, but again it's just second hand text now. And "lootable throughout pre-kunark" would mean April of 2000 at the latest, not July.
You could still loot others corpses in early Kunark, I know this because my computer couldn't handle Kunark zones and I died in dreadlands after getting ported in and could barely move once I got close to the trees towards KC. I couldn't CR myself so I consented my friends and had them loot my gear for me. Lost a bag with something no drop in it, but it was a solid plan otherwise. Those friggin Kunark trees killed my computer, had to upgrade just to play.

[ Kurrat - Arch Mage ]
[ Kurrate - Crusader ]
<Legacy of Fire>

Old 09-03-2024, 10:46 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilanderTruewield [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I remember during Kunark/early Velious when outside of KC was camped to the point that my group was set up in one of the ruins off of the pad that KC sits on, out in the field a bit. That was an exciting group with the roamers [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah I remember for whatever reason groups used to post up in those square ruins to the west of KC. I think people just didn't know the roamer pathing and thought that those places were fully safe because they were enclosed by four crumbling walls. I remember camping/pulling to groups there quite a lot. DL was so scary to me in the early days of Kunark...running through with invis/lev/sow on a 40s warrior which was my main at that point, hoping that the buffs didn't happen to wear off lol