Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Resolved Issues

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 05:23 PM
Planar Protector

I wonder what the source code for the spell would look like. Anyone?
Old 11-05-2009, 06:16 PM
Orc

I will look it up and find the patch notes if it was ever in a patch note.

It's just that melee hits would almost always break the spell. That's how it was.

Yeah i don't think it's right, enchanters are already very very powerful in the right situations. This just makes it way more easy. Besides the raid mobs that can't attack ever if this spell is used.

update:
http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20080820.html

this is the only patch history of that spell that i could find. I will look for more basic info of the spell.

update #2:

This page is from 1999. i will also link the page that got me to that page to verify. Interesting posts from 1999. I don't know how much evidance i can find past this. This is the main page. http://web.archive.org/web/199911272...tersrealm.com/

here is the link for the enchanter spells.
http://web.archive.org/web/200103021...lls/enchanter/

than just click on whirl till you hurl. Level 12 spell.

hope this helps. It seems it was nerfed at a time by verant. Yet i couldn't find it in the patch history.

chanters can still chain stun anyway. Just this spell makes it too easy to do so. But it probably was overpowered in 1999 for a month or two. But I'm sure they hotfixed it pretty quickly when they found out it's power.

later = ) , matahari .
Last edited by bopice; 11-05-2009 at 07:06 PM..
Old 11-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Actually it was Duod shortly after that
Uhh wasn't me? *whistle innocently*

Whirl had a minor impact if any, Efreeti resists it often and pulling agro from the pet would be a bad idea.

A 49 mage and cleric could duo it just as easy if the camp was already broken (as it was when this happened)

The efreeti camp also has overlapping spawn timers, so eventually you will have to face more then one mob at a time, which > almost any duo.

I think people are forgetting that enchanters have always been able to stunlock mobs using AoE stuns as well. I would be happy to prove that efreeti can be duoed or even solod in the right situation without whirl on the spell bar.
Last edited by Allizia; 11-05-2009 at 07:08 PM..
Old 11-06-2009, 05:47 AM
Kobold

Welcome to my "prove that WTYH needs adjustment" response:

*Warning - long post*

First of all let me say this: Whatever you DEVs decide to do, I will not mope or frown or start screaming like a baby. P1999 is not a democracy - it's your server. I can't get elected and change things - I can only close the door on my way out if I so choose. And I can't for life of me imagine why I would want to do that :-)

Now let's get to business! As we have already seen indications of, Eq.Castersrealm spell info and comments made by players around the time of Kunark and Velious suggest that WTYH does indeed NOT necessarily last its full duration. Moreover, a comment by a user as well as the general info suggests that the spell was indeed changed by Verant. (http://web.archive.org/web/200101080...asp?SpellID=46)

Now we have one lead, but any historian of trade knows that one source of information is usually a really bad way of convincing anyone that your point is valid. Hence we need more substantial evidence. Therefore, examine exhibit B:

http://web.archive.org/web/200209011...you+hurl&type= . Now, here we have an independent site where one particular user, Yappie, gives us a interesting clue:
Quote:
The one disadvantage of it is that it can be partially resisted.

"A sarnak recruit begins to spin"
1 second later...
"Your whirl till you hurl spell has wore off"

Sometimes it lasts 5-10 seconds, but I still end up spending the majority of my time in combat casting this spell and not medding. Stand, cast, sit, med. Stand, cast, sit, med. mezz mezz, cast, sit, med.
This is further independent evidence that WTYH should not always last for its full duration as it currently does on P1999.

Onwards to exhibit C:

http://xornn.tripod.com/Spells/spell.htm - Xornn's guide to enchanting. Although the site only goes back to late 2004, Xorrn's comment on WTYH is interesting:
Quote:
Single-Stun
Whirl Till You Hurl (12), Dyn's Dizzying Draught (29)
This spell is highly resistant, and even when it lands, it checks to break every second, and every time the mob is bashed, possibly every time damaged. What this equates to is a practically useless spell unless used on green mobs that are no danger to you (as your level overcomes the horrid resist rates). However when the spell works, it can land a stun effect for up to 30 seconds, and DDD is a backup stun when you have an early break, though it's mana cost is prohibitive. The reason this spell line is so bad is that at one time it was so good. Encounters were trivial with an enchanter chain-spinning mobs till they died--so Verant nerfed the spell line into a useless pile.
Xornn does seem to be out of tune with spell duration, but his mention of a Verant nerf suggests that something did happen back in the days with the spell. He also mentions that the spell rarely lasts its full duration.

So - before everyone get tired eyes, let's look at exhibit D:

While again not a source from the Vanilla/RoK/Velious era, http://www.therunes.net/forums/viewt...t=whirl#p16693 does contain some valid accounts of how WTYH has been percieved over the years. I direct your attention to these two in particular:
Quote:
by brakeformezz » Jan 8th, '04, 10:29
I was wondering what people currently think of the usefulness of Whirl til You Hurl and Dyn's Dizzying Draught.

I read that when I was still a baby chanter, these spells were great, but they have since been nerfed into near worthlessness. Playing a cleric as well, I've noticed that their casting time and mana cost are not nearly as efficient as a run of the mill targetted stun spell, given the short duration the spinning usually seems to last.
Quote:
Postby Sphynix » Jan 8th, '04, 19:19
Those spells would be decent but for 1 problem,

They are pretty easy to resist, which is annoying, but each time they take damage they get a save check. Much like a really bad version of root.
I think these four accounts with their reasonably independent content give us a valid reason to conclude that WTYH is due for an adjustment in P1999.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:04 AM
VIP / Contributor

We are going to be nerfing it. We are still discussing how exactly but expect it to be similar to what has been reported thus far. We will keep you guys posted.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:52 AM
Planar Protector

Copying this from the Paineel guard thread:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a little confused by this.
What is the server stance on keeping things as it was back in 1999?

It seems like something such as forgetting to put a faction on city guards was a mistake back in the day but it has been deemed okay to remove for the server.
But then things such as WTYH is going to be nerfed when back in Classic that wasn't changed till after Kunark. I highly doubt it was intended that Paineel guards had no faction hits.

Don't get me wrong, my chanter is only level 11 so I don't even have WTYH yet. But I'm curious as to how much we are really going to stick to what was, as opposed to what was intended to be.

Any clarification?

Basically, I want to know when I should be reporting things because it's hard to tell at this point what is considered exploitable and what's considered to be "true to classic".
Old 11-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Sarnak

One thing I have noticed is that the duration is longer then the messaging says it is.

Your whirl till you hurl spell has worn off = You only have 2 seconds of stun left, cast now
Old 11-29-2010, 04:28 AM
Large Bat

This spell still isn't working like it should.

In LGuk the other night, with 3 melee (with Celerity) and an fire pet beating on the frogs, I was consistently getting full duration whirls. I could chain-spin mobs forever, basically, maybe one cast out of five would break a few seconds early. The tank was taking no damage, and I think our cleric was falling asleep.
Last edited by zebin; 11-29-2010 at 04:31 AM..
Old 11-29-2010, 12:33 PM
Fire Giant

Whirl worked like that in classic. It was nerfed somewhere during kunark era, but in classic whirl was always OP. During Kunark it was then nerfed sadly. After the nerf, the spell was crap. However, pls dont nerf it before they did on live :P
Old 11-29-2010, 01:19 PM
Planar Protector

I rarely ever used it in dire situations (on p99), it's casting time is a bit slow and the resist rate is quite high, it's only ideal when the Enchanter is never the focus of aggro.
DAOC Class Descriptions by Crith (for all 3 realms, with some comparisons to EQ classes)
DAOC: Uthgard Revamp (old thread with some useful info)
"Sometimes a Majority means, that most fools are on the same side"
Closed Thread