Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 06:56 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I like the idea of that cartridge but how did they get to be so expensive? Gap in the market there, someone must be able to make the same thing but half the price...
I suspect this. I bought a memory card reader for my DS back in like 2007 or 2008 and it was like $60 for the read, the microSD card, and an attachment for the GBA slot that allowed you to play GBA roms as well. I'm assuming a memory card reader for an SNES would be a bit less advanced, not sure how it warrants more than 2x the price, besides just unavailability. http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?products_id=84 is also $145. Probably a mix of not a lot of people making them + not a lot of demand.

Also these only seem to support DSP-1 which means no Super FX, SA-1, CX4, etc. ROMs. So, no Starfox/Starfox 2, Doom, Megaman X2/X3, Kirby's Dream Land 3, etc.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrngrim79 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It usually isn't. I've purchased every reiteration of the game in question (GBA, PS1), but nothing felt the same until I got another SNES with the cartridge. Holding that fat controller and looking at those pixels on a CRT...that was the magic returned once more!

And Swish, you've got a point, you'd think some of the companies that make these "FC" consoles would step in and re-engineer this product and sell it cheap, but I guess no one has decided to do it since then.
Fat controller? I feel like a fucking monster when I hold a SNES controller now. I've been conditioned to the Xbox size, minimum.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeallunRumblebelly [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Fat controller? I feel like a fucking monster when I hold a SNES controller now. I've been conditioned to the Xbox size, minimum.
I hate those chunky Xbox controllers, forever a Sony fanboy - PS3 controllers, like baby bear's porridge... are just right [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-25-2012, 09:28 PM
Sarnak

Lufia 2 was good, secret of mana was easily the best rpg tho
Old 11-25-2012, 09:38 PM
Kobold

FF3 (us snes), Chrono Trigger, and Earthbound

#nerdtalk
Old 11-25-2012, 09:42 PM
Kobold

And Seiken Densetsu 3 was way better than Secret of Mana. SD3 online multiplayer still feels like some sort of modern Ragnarok Online ripoff.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:53 AM
Sarnak

Those are were great but imo nothing compares to...

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I mean c'mon. Where else can you fight a giant birthday cake alongside Princess Toadstool?
Old 11-26-2012, 11:45 AM
Large Rat

Hey my first post on the forums. What a great thread for it.

I just started replaying FF3 on my Samsung Galaxy S3.

It's surprisingly great for it. I just needed something to play when I have 15 minutes here or there to kill, but then I end up putting 2 hours into it.

I transfer save files back and forth between my phone and my tablet, so when I'm home I'll play it on tablet, when I'm out and about I'll do some work on my phone.

I don't have to tout the benefits of an emulator, but what's surprisingly nice for these devices is the ability to pair my PS3 controller to them when I don't feel like using the on screen controls.

And...yes glad that FF3 and Earthbound were mentioned, those were my favorites.

But now I want to dust off the SNES and play on that...
Old 11-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiksilver [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Those are were great but imo nothing compares to...

Mario RPG was epic but for me, nothing will ever top this game:

Old 11-26-2012, 05:31 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbeorn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey my first post on the forums. What a great thread for it.

I just started replaying FF3 on my Samsung Galaxy S3.

It's surprisingly great for it. I just needed something to play when I have 15 minutes here or there to kill, but then I end up putting 2 hours into it.

I transfer save files back and forth between my phone and my tablet, so when I'm home I'll play it on tablet, when I'm out and about I'll do some work on my phone.

I don't have to tout the benefits of an emulator, but what's surprisingly nice for these devices is the ability to pair my PS3 controller to them when I don't feel like using the on screen controls.

And...yes glad that FF3 and Earthbound were mentioned, those were my favorites.

But now I want to dust off the SNES and play on that...
There's also Final Fantasy VI Advance for GBA, which is the same as FF3 (usa/snes) except there's a new translation, some new magicite, and a new final/bonus dungeon w/ super weapons for each character. The extras are definitely cool and a great addition to the game (the end is where FF3 falls apart a bit), but I personally prefer the original translation. A lot of people think the GBA translation is better, so ymmv. Apparently the GBA translation is supposed to be closer to the original, but Woolsey's quirky translation is kinda part of the game imo.