Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 02:45 AM
Fire Giant

Yes I have. Twice.

Personal experience, logic and knowledge of game mechanics. Seems you're the one operating on hearsay. You're welcome to explain this mysterious source of super-dodge that rangers allegedly get. Since there's no basis for your claim except for sheer superstition and misconception, I'm actually very curious to hear what made you believe your ranger could go to Sebilis and dodge four out of five attacks.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:53 AM
Kobold

If you're gonna tank as a ranger it has to be against lower level (barely at higher levels) blue mobs. You can do that well, but you can't tank level 50 mobs at level 51 as well as an sk/pally/war.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:23 AM
Planar Protector

The only place I would tell a ranger they can tank efficiently at 40+ is on the old-world content, on blue con stuff. Kunark mobs hit too hard to be efficient for your healers. Can it be done? Of course. Is there going to be more downtime vs a knight tanking? Yes.

To me, there's a bit of difference between "can a ranger tank?" and "can a ranger tank efficiently so that he can make up for his hybrid xp penalty in the same way a knight can?" In most cases, the best way to make up for that penalty is for the ranger to chain pull for his group to maximize the incoming XP. Just my opinion based on my experience. I'll see if my parser collected any data on my dodge % when I get home.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 06-26-2011, 10:42 AM
Large Bat

Sometimes efficiency in tanking is more about holding agro and killing fast. Up to a point its perfectly viable with the right group makeup, and certainly not inefficient enough to warrant holding out for a real tank class.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Planar Protector

yeah. Ranger can sure hold agro with taunt and spamming Snare, and if you have 2 clerics attached to him, he will will even survive on more tough fights, but that won't be no where efficiency of having an actual tank.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluepugwash [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sometimes efficiency in tanking is more about holding agro and killing fast. Up to a point its perfectly viable with the right group makeup, and certainly not inefficient enough to warrant holding out for a real tank class.
And other times, its about the rate of mana use in the group, the conversion of that mana back into HP, and that conversion rate limiting the amount of damage your group can take over time before you have to med back up. A knight can hold aggro just as well with their spells, and require a slower rate of mana conversion back into hit points.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 06-26-2011, 02:32 PM
Planar Protector

But at the same time, when a ranger is tanking its like having an extra dps class at the same time. The other 3 tanks don't do the dps that a ranger can do, while tanking at the same time. Especially if were talking about warriors who are using yaks. Its like a ranger in a group can count as both a tank and dps class while only taking up 1 spot in the group. So if you have the same exact group members but tgive them 2 diff tanks, first a warrior or pally, then a ranger. And let them fight in the same camp for like 20mins, the group with the ranger tank should be killing faster cause there tank is also like having an extra dps class in the group. Im not saying ranger dmg is double that the other tanks... but when you have a warrior using 2 8/24 yaks vs a ranger using 2 25/40 wurmys.... that dps diff should be a big difference.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:37 PM
Fire Giant

a post mentioning the word "ranger" - i know for a fact without reading this entire thread there will be posts by duie, yendor and aadill, amirite?
Old 06-26-2011, 02:38 PM
Fire Giant

damn, 2 out of 3
Old 06-26-2011, 03:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentVolaju [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But at the same time, when a ranger is tanking its like having an extra dps class at the same time. The other 3 tanks don't do the dps that a ranger can do, while tanking at the same time. Especially if were talking about warriors who are using yaks. Its like a ranger in a group can count as both a tank and dps class while only taking up 1 spot in the group. So if you have the same exact group members but tgive them 2 diff tanks, first a warrior or pally, then a ranger. And let them fight in the same camp for like 20mins, the group with the ranger tank should be killing faster cause there tank is also like having an extra dps class in the group. Im not saying ranger dmg is double that the other tanks... but when you have a warrior using 2 8/24 yaks vs a ranger using 2 25/40 wurmys.... that dps diff should be a big difference.
ehem, a ranger with lower offense/weapon caps and without warrior criticals - more dps than a warrior? In best case scenario they will be even

combined with - ranger needs to be healed twice as often than a warrior - your ranger group will be sitting on their arses waiting for cleric to med up every few pulls.
Closed Thread