Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 08-14-2024, 12:17 AM
Planar Protector

Hall of Flame it is then.
Old 08-14-2024, 12:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Most people didn't have 2 computers. That ties into what I was saying about people generally not even having computer mics back then. It's a total fabrication to suggest that any guild back then was playing with a majority of a raid on voice chat. Like, that's literally documented among the top raid guilds too. It didn't happen. Voice chat was an extremely niche and really wasn't even talked about by players. The freaking EQ devs weren't even playing that way, which is also documented.

Also, people who did have multiple computers were generally 2-boxing. My friend's parents played EQ like that. They never used voice chat.
Maybe other peoples' experiences differ but mine was similar to this. Don't recall voice being used significantly on raids until around Luclin era.
Old 08-14-2024, 01:23 PM
Skeleton

Almost sure FoH and/or Afterlife used 'Roger Wilco' which was heavily used by Counter Strike players at the time, although in-game shouts/ooc etc were still the default for raids, but in general, it wasn't common in MMORPG games until later. IRC was another option, and that was kind of like a part of 'deep web' of the time.
Old 08-14-2024, 04:02 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Waa waa waa.
I didnt do it so it didnt happen.
Must be sad being so far behind the times like that.
BTW, girls sound different (to boys) on voice comms.
Other differences as well but you prolly didnt play doctors and nurses back then. Its ok.
Lol girls don't play eq. How many times did you get burned by that scam in game?
Old 08-14-2024, 05:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciderpress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lol girls don't play eq. How many times did you get burned by that scam in game?
Look, just because the dark elf female you got "naughty in Neriak" with turned out to be a guy, that doesn't mean women didn't exist ... it just meant they weren't talking to you.

I played on Bristlebane with several (IRL) women, during Velious. They definitely existed.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue or Green servers, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of platinum and/or gear! Send me a forum message for details.
Old 08-14-2024, 05:37 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Look, just because the dark elf female you got "naughty in Neriak" with turned out to be a guy, that doesn't mean women didn't exist ... it just meant they weren't talking to you.

I played on Bristlebane with several (IRL) women, during Velious. They definitely existed.
Okay thanks killjoy loramin, it was a joke. I know there are like 2 actual girls who play everquest.
Old 08-15-2024, 11:30 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

You gotta stop taking things so literally bro
Old 08-15-2024, 01:24 PM
Planar Protector

I would have thought that talking about getting "naughty in Neriak" with a dark elf female would have at least suggested that I wasn't being wholly serious.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue or Green servers, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of platinum and/or gear! Send me a forum message for details.
Old 08-15-2024, 01:52 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
I would have thought that talking about getting "naughty in Neriak" with a dark elf female would have at least suggested that I wasn't being wholly serious.
This is the "I'm just a comedian" jon stewart defense, as he has the ear of a generation and talks about nothing but politics for 15 years.
Old 08-15-2024, 02:11 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namsaknoi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Almost sure FoH and/or Afterlife used 'Roger Wilco' which was heavily used by Counter Strike players at the time, although in-game shouts/ooc etc were still the default for raids, but in general, it wasn't common in MMORPG games until later. IRC was another option, and that was kind of like a part of 'deep web' of the time.
I never got Roger Wilco to work. We desperately tried to. I remember being so desperate that we started doing 3-way calls with people we met on EQ. My mom got this huge phone bill (several hundred dollars was a lot of money in the 99), and I swore to her that I didn't call anyone, and she believed me and somehow convinced the phone company to drop the charges. She knew that her son had no friends and spent all of his time on the computer, so who would he be calling? He doesn't even know anyone from California !