Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 02:25 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder73 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Swore off non-fiction after college... Only thing I would be interested in is maybe something about outer-space, and even then I don't really want to read about physics and math... Plus TV is a better medium for that type of thing.

Real life is better in documentary form IMO
Ah, well I have nothing against people who like fiction. I've read a few that I liked, but I just can't justify it. Even though I guess its improves imagination, creativity, and can relate to real world lessons. And its entertaining.

The only book I can think of is Vril, The Power of the Coming Race. Only because its written like fiction, but relates to reality.

Here's a summary, and there's a .pdf you can find on google.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vril
Old 07-28-2016, 02:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saludeen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ah, well I have nothing against people who like fiction. I've read a few that I liked, but I just can't justify it. Even though I guess its improves imagination, creativity, and can relate to real world lessons. And its entertaining.

The only book I can think of is Vril, The Power of the Coming Race. Only because its written like fiction, but relates to reality.

Here's a summary, and there's a .pdf you can find on google.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vril
Props on the Thule society drop. Never really got into that mysticism though or alien beings stuff. Honestly think Hitler didnt buy into any of that stuff either. Mostly his henchmen like Himmler and Hess and such. He banned astrology after Hess's flight to England (some controversy there about the entire story's authenticity and the whole astrology deal)and had the Mangrove root guy killed. Then he shut down Masonry and related groups.

For an alternative view on occultism and the 3rd Reich there is a youtube video put out buy a guy named Dennis Wise. He did an interesting 6ish hour series called The Grestest Story Never Told about Hitler I recommend to anyone. Anyhow here is his Hitler Occultism Debunked in 3 min video. Not conclusive but it does interject some doubt. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVekwQ2i04g
Last edited by Nihilist_santa; 07-28-2016 at 02:35 PM..
Old 07-28-2016, 03:35 PM
Fire Giant

I thought The Dark Tower series was awesome. Fantasy Horror Western? Yes,plz.

If you want typical fantasy series though Sword of Truth, Sword of Shannara Trilogy, Dark Elf Trilogy & Icewind Dale are decent.

Chuck Palahniuk writes some pretty crazy stuff if your into progressive fiction (he wrote Fight Club)

House of Leaves was one of the weirdest/best reading experiences I've had.

Or you could always reach for some classics ... I'm currently reading H.P. Lovecraft.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:45 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollhide [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The Talisman by Stephen King sounds like it might be up your alley, it's a departure from his typical horror books and closer to a fantasy novel (but not really). One of my top 3 favorite books.
Def. one of King's best but based off your past books, I'd still recommend The Dark Tower series. He wrote the series over a 30ish year period so each book has a slightly different feel (which I found was cool). King considers this series as his magnum opus.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:49 PM
Planar Protector

He also thought lord of the flies was good. I liked the first book in dark tower series and kinda consider the rest a waste of time. I actually really enjoyed the ending to the series though.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:59 PM
Fire Giant

To each their own. The Gunslinger was an awesome book though but I'm partial to the The Waste Lands. Blaine the Mono was an awesome character
Old 07-28-2016, 04:01 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
He also thought lord of the flies was good. I liked the first book in dark tower series and kinda consider the rest a waste of time. I actually really enjoyed the ending to the series though.
it was just soooo long and drawn out lol

i hated the series by the time i got to ending and it was just like.. fuck thats it?
Old 07-28-2016, 04:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilist_santa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Legitimately LoL'd on that one.
Yeah basically books that when i walk over to her and read over her shoulder i can find some kind of sex act happening or someone's feelings being expressed. Personally i dont mind her reading those books cause it just gives her ideas for in the bedroom so works for me until she starts to want to poke me with things lol.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:08 PM
Fire Giant

OP has read The Wheel of Time. He knows drawn out. Dark Tower compares nothing to that.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:37 PM
Fire Giant

https://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomer/fa...JOw#.psgOJdrmA
This is the list I use at the moment to pick my book series, should be helpful for what you're looking for
Closed Thread