Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2022, 03:56 PM
Planar Protector

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Mblake1981; 10-10-2022 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: edited my rant joke.
Old 10-10-2022, 04:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake1981 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Imagine a silicon valley exec-guy putting on a leather jacket and aviators and crawling behind the wheel of this beast.
For a group of people who want to promote the idea of an electric vehicle, they sure are living in the past.

Who are they trying to attract? Old boomers who will die in 6 months?

This is why America is dying. We can't create anything new.

Everything is a rebooted nostalgia trip down memory lane when we actually made unique shit.

No more culture or art.

Sad.

Learn Mandarin.
Old 10-10-2022, 04:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encroaching Death [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For a group of people who want to promote the idea of an electric vehicle, they sure are living in the past.

This is why America is dying. We can't create anything new.
Likewise, who are EV's for? the companies say they are for everyone, old boomer to young zoomer since they are replacing everything.

I don't understand the concept of an electric "muscle car". If you have the fabrication skills, you could simply put an old muscle car body on a Tesla chassis. I guess it would be the same thing, the aftermarket for EV's are mostly cosmetic (like computer games) and is verging on contempt.

Edit: You are not going to intimidate anyone pulling up to the local tech center in an EV-Dodge Charger that makes no unsettling sounds, like the kind that scare women and young children.
Last edited by Mblake1981; 10-10-2022 at 04:15 PM..
Old 10-10-2022, 04:21 PM
Planar Protector

Old 10-10-2022, 04:22 PM
Banned

Is there a concise, accurate study somewhere that shows how electric cars are actually better for the environment?

Like, a normal car burns fossil fuel and produces co2. A tesla runs on electricity, which by and large is produced by burning fossil fuel and producing co2.

Is there a clear chart or graph or something showing that EV's are a net carbon reducer, given that electricity isn't free, nor is all of the energy required to manufacture and distribute electric cars, and the required infrastructure to actually replace gas cars?

I'm sure somebody has done this comparison, and I assume it's a net benefit to drive a tesla, but I also have a suspicion that most proponents of electric cars think they run on magic, pollution-free energy. And those same people are always rabidly against nuclear energy, which is far closer to actual pollution-free energy than anything else we can currently implement.
Old 10-10-2022, 05:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake1981 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't understand the concept of an electric "muscle car". If you have the fabrication skills, you could simply put an old muscle car body on a Tesla chassis. I guess it would be the same thing, the aftermarket for EV's are mostly cosmetic (like computer games) and is verging on contempt.
I agree. You can make an electric sports car easy enough. When all that matters is lap times electrics should do well, hence my comment earlier. Lot of modern sports cars already look and sound stupid anyway. Muscle cars are a different breed and there's no point to such a thing without the sound, the burpling exhaust, the car rocking side-to-side when the driver revs it up, and the ability for the owner to tinker with it himself. I expect them to be lost to the advancement of technology or become playthings of the wealthy like the famous models of yesteryear already are, $100K-plus Hemi Cudas and such.

At the rate we're going at hollowing out the middle class, in thirty years only the wealthy elite will be able to afford their electrics or grandfathered-in older gassers anyhow, while the poor masses will be riding around in rickshaws like some third world slum. They'll laugh from over their gormet meals in their gated communities and call that progress while they pat the modern-day-peasants on the back for sacrificing their quality of life and eating bugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encroaching Death [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Unironically, yes. The majority of today's 20 year olds can't hope to afford most new cars, let alone something that's actually nice. That is a big part of what's wrong with modern America.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 10-10-2022 at 05:09 PM..
Old 10-10-2022, 05:49 PM
Banned

I think I would date Danth will have to watch more posts but hotguy vibes
Old 10-10-2022, 05:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
He doesn't even have luxury. The interior of today's $100K Mercedes looks like it could've been ripped out of a mid 90's Honda Accord. It's a race to the bottom, the lowest common denominator of globalization. Today's youth driving their globalized econo-boxes don't know what they're missing and they're convinced that what they have doesn't suck because they don't know any better.

Straight across seat, nice soft ride, your honey can slide across and snuggle up as you cruise along, that's a better life. Modern cars are pretty much only good at rust resistance and suck at absolutely everything else a street car is supposed to do. Now with electrics it's more or less a quiet war on middle america. Hydrogen is a better path if gasoline absolutely has to go. Anything with a battery will always suck.

As for stick shifts, I don't oppose their existence, just don't like 'em myself after fighting with stupid truck transmissions a few times too many.

I have a Dodge van and a Coupe de Ville sunday driver fun ride. Both of 'em got damaged on the same day a few weeks ago. The van is repaired and back, the Caddy's a complete loss and won't be easily replaced. Too bad, modern cars seem designed by people who want people to hate cars, they're all miserable. Prior to the van I've always driven Cadillacs and Buicks. The wife has had a smattering of Mercury or Lincoln in there.

After experiencing the misery of a late-model Nissan loaner (they called it an Altima, I call it a rolling torture box), I am dead serious when I say I would rather drive an '81 K-car than a modern car. I couldn't sit in that Nissan 15 minutes without getting a sore back.
Oh no he didn't mention crash safety.....centristdar beeping
Old 10-10-2022, 06:10 PM
Planar Protector

I heard Dodge is bringing back the Dakota. I hope they don't make it too big.

-Mcoy
Old 10-10-2022, 06:13 PM
Banned

Remember when everything they said about the best president in our life time was a lie, and they replaced him with the most destructive puppet in our life time
Closed Thread