Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 03:45 AM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalore93 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This has a lot less to do with the 80 or so characters very over-leveled and more to do with reputation. Reputation is everything when you're trying to gather critical mass for any project. For an EQ server trying to get a foothold in a very small niche space even more so. We're one degree removed and this is how much we're already fighting over it in the space of a day.
This 'project' isn't about reputation or player count; I could care less how many people play on the server. That isn't the point. It is to recreate EQMac-era EQ, and provide the code and database needed for anyone to do so. A for-play server just happens to be something that exists that is officially supported by the team.

If the play server gets 0 people and some other person makes their own copy of the server, gets population, and still contributes back to our project, I would have no issue with that. I couldn't even give two shits if Toop, Rogean, P99, EQClassic who ever, used the code as long as they contributed back to our code repository.

Obviously I'd frown on someone making a server out of a vendetta they made up with a conspiracy in their own mind, but I won't hate them for it as long as they contribute back to us in some way.

Anyone who wishes to help fix the exp formula can download a copy of the code and make a pull request themselves. That is the kind of open-ness I am trying to foster here, not 'us-versus-you'.
https://github.com/cavedude00/Server...f0656b03d97107

“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” — Aristotle
Last edited by Secrets; 01-16-2015 at 03:50 AM..
Old 01-16-2015, 04:40 AM
Sarnak

I've got a bridge to sell too. That's honestly bullshit and everyone knows it. Everyone knows it when the P99 dev says it as well. You'd have to be a complete sociopath to work on something for hundreds of hours then turn around and be like, "Nah, totally cool if people thinks this sucks ass and everyone hates it."

Unless you're one of those extremely rare craftsmen who takes pride in his craft by itself. Which would be a fucking wonder if those types all drifted to coding EQ EMU. I have a lot more respect for a guy who openly states, "Ya, I've been working on this bitch quite a bit. I want this to succeed and would justifiably be pretty pissed if it goes down." It's just simple human nature from my point of view but carry on as you please sir/madam.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:43 AM
Planar Protector

the fact that they're making everything open source sort of invalidates those arguments mandalore

if you think you can launch a server more successfully then go ahead and download their open source database, improve upon it yourself, and start up a server with a better initial reputation than theirs has.
Last edited by pharmakos; 01-16-2015 at 05:55 AM..
Old 01-16-2015, 08:14 AM
Orc

Yeah, if anything the Devs HATE the people who are already 50. They have been vilified by the staff, publically shamed (it was deleted, but still).

The 70% rule basically makes it so this server will not progress until <Destiny> beats all the content, and with recent exp changes it will take those guys MONTHS to even reach 50.

That is the main reason they are holding back Vox and Naggy, Plane of Fear and Plane of Hate. Destiny needs to be ready to "compete" before that stuff gets released. It is also the reason for many item drops nerfs to the only difficult content in the game.

It IS kinda funny though. With the exp changes they made the whole server hate the high levels. Coincidence, or just very convenient? You decide

Quote:
This 'project' isn't about reputation or player count; I could care less how many people play on the server. That isn't the point. It is to recreate EQMac-era EQ, and provide the code and database needed for anyone to do so. A for-play server just happens to be something that exists that is officially supported by the team
If this is true, why do you stand idly by when people like Speedz and Torven remove EQMac Era stuff from the game? Why do you not chime in on progression VS preservation? The discussion could use a stable minded person (you), right now the decisions are being made by kneejerk idiots. If anyone is on a vendetta it is the GMs of that server who want to drive away the competitive players that joined that server. If Speedz is still in charge when this server reaches a "finished state" I don't see people hanging around if someone else uses the codebase and rolls a new server
Last edited by Bleepo; 01-16-2015 at 08:26 AM..
Old 01-16-2015, 08:19 AM
Sarnak

Have the fixed the constant soft disconnect issues?
Old 01-16-2015, 08:42 AM
Sarnak

^Only disconnect issues I've had are with boxes zoning.

@Pharmakos - Because I have zero intention of ever launching an EQ EMU server? Just because I'm not going to personally do it doesn't excuse server's management from criticism. I sincerely doubt that the majority of the server code is coming from more than their top 3-6 devs so clearly those people have a far more invested stake in the server.

As I stated on the TAKP forums, I probably will get bored of it within a week or two so I have very little stake in the success of the server even though I do think their timeline is cool.

As I stated on their forums, how does this move look good to any outside player? Compare that to the cost of inconveniencing 20-40 people who have already shown they're ready to put full time hours into the game.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:09 AM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalore93 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

As I stated on their forums, how does this move look good to any outside player? Compare that to the cost of inconveniencing 20-40 people who have already shown they're ready to put full time hours into the game.
Probably because I could care less who runs my code. I don't do the database or the running of the server. I don't have full confidence anyone choosing to run my code because I shouldn't have to - that's not my responsibility.
The code is being coded to support people who want to take the code sometime down the line and make their own server with their own rulesets; for example you could easily take an older revision, merge in fixes you want, and make your own server.
Ignorance, and being unwilling to make your own server, is different than P99 where you are told to start from scratch with no database and no codebase. If you're unwilling to make the server YOU want to see, you won't find it, I guarantee that. I spent the last couple years going through the same thing.

Personally, I'm not interested in running a server; haven't been for the last... 3 years? And forcing me to pick a 'side' in your conflict with the folks running the play server is a bit arrogant and unreasonable when I want nothing to do with either the play server or your problems with the play server... unless it's a code bug and you have a solution planned.
You're welcome to critique the people running the play server, but the moment you start attacking my code project - which benefits everyone and prevents a situation like this happening - that's where I draw the line.
As I have said also, I do not care if there are 0 people online playing. I spent 1 and a half years of my life without a playerbase, and I think another year and a half wouldn't kill me as long as a noble goal is achieved of preserving the EQMac playerbase.

It is completely unreasonable to ask me to do something I have no interest in because you want to see it happen. End of story.

“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” — Aristotle
Old 01-16-2015, 09:49 AM
Planar Protector

I don't care about the EXP thing.

I just hope you don't try to fix things on Mac that were unique and don't need fixing.

Fine, remove pit warring and OOR exp and Shakerpaging if you want to prevent people from getting max AAs in days.

But don't remove the core things about Mac that made is unique. Alpha Time/Air and all those problems. Too many people want to see every bug "fixed" and all content updated. That would be lame :/.

Seeing vendor recharge, old-world model horse bug or WotW stacking with rune removed would be very lame.

I'm fine with fixing PoEarth Traps and Rings or Aid Grimel/Power of the Elements quests which were actually broken. But the weird aspects of the code or database should stay if they don't present an enormous exploitation issue.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:27 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
This has a lot less to do with the 80 or so characters very over-leveled and more to do with reputation. Reputation is everything when you're trying to gather critical mass for any project. For an EQ server trying to get a foothold in a very small niche space even more so. We're one degree removed and this is how much we're already fighting over it in the space of a day.
Plays on P99. Makes argument that server reputation is everything. Perhaps you are new here, but there have been some pretty massive shenanigans in P99 past that damaged its reputation for fairness/equality/etc.

Fact is, if you get any halfway decent early EQ EMU working, people will flock to it. Even if they know that the raiding game involves sitting on at character select for hours waiting for the text message to log in and then zerg down a 32k dragon with a force that is 5 times larger than is needed to actually win.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:40 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrito [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Have the fixed the constant soft disconnect issues?
I think they fixed something. I used to crash once every 10-15 minutes on at least one toon. Haven't had a crash in the past 5-6 hours of playtime.
Closed Thread