Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 06:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by axius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
68%
68% for Trolls

61% for Ogres
Old 11-21-2011, 09:02 PM
Fire Giant

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by compulsion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I played casters on RZ and SZ, and haven't played EQ in 7 years. But as I have played a bit, I just don't think I'm down for 41 more levels of nuke, nuke, nuke, book, repeat.

So for me, and anyone else thinking about starting up, can someone with recent experience give us your thoughts on 50(or 40+ even) melee play?

Bard - more of a caster at high levels? never seen one seriously try to melee.

Ranger - seem fun, but I remember them being such easy kills.

Paladin / SK - diverse options for spells make these seem like the only decent choices in the bunch.

Monk - mend and high damage output, but terrible resists and low health?

Rogue - completely terrible?

Warrior - high health and 50(?) base MR count for anything?

Server latency makes it hard to even joust mobs sometimes, much less a player blinking all over the screen. Aside from battles over a zoneline, are melee just 2nd class citizens?

Bard at higher lvls on classic pvp is perfect. No mana useage, fastest speeds, and you are pretty much a caster. I made a bard myself. You are more of a chanter with free mana. Ranger? sucks til luclin. Kunark at VERY minimum. paladin? not bad. blind, stun, bash+stun .. great vs casters. With the heals + classic, you just waste your pvpers mana away and finish them. Rogues? Amazing if you start the battle, but that's it. Warrior? Err.. you won't kill anyone, but you won't die easily. You are just sorta...there.. boring.

MONKS .. are interesting. My main on rallos zek was actually a monk. Monks suck pre lvl 30 - mend backfires/doesnt work, in classic your only choice is fists really until higher lvls. Then you have to get your 1hb up to par, which takes a while. Also FD doesnt work well til 30ish.

Once you get flying kick, you are the shit. Once mend always works, it's very satisfying. Now heres what a lot of people dont know .. when you feign death, the caster loses the target!!! so you run around a corner, feign death and stand back up, then you screw casters. Lots don't even notice.

Once kunark comes out, inner flames destroys face.

When you respawn, you don't need your corpse to do some decent damage with your bare fists. Sorta nice if you come back fast and a pure caster is low on mana.

Disarm? Very fun when you get it high up! Don't forget you can disarm PC's. Sends their weapon to their mouse. If you feign death after disarming them, they'll try to click on you and almost accidentally drop weapon, making them just deal with a bunch of annoying open windows and terrifyingly almost dropping your weapon. You can really mess with people. In old rallos, I used to leave them alive at 1% hp, disarm their weapon and kill them before they can bag it. If they had one open inventory slot, i could loot their weapon ;D
Old 11-21-2011, 11:46 PM
Sarnak

Thanks for the replies that actually managed to stay on topic, and looking forward to any more.

Note: this isn't a matter of "what class can I solo to 50 as fast as possible then 2 shot under geared blue cons as they catch up?" Everyone who wants that already rolled a necro, druid, or to a lesser extent, wizard. It is about the big XvX wars will play out as the server progresses.

Melees just seem to have a more interesting role in groups, as well as more diverse gearing options, which could make them really fun as the server progresses. As well, quite a bit of PvP later in the game will be happening along zone lines which favors the melee playstyle.
Last edited by compulsion; 11-21-2011 at 11:51 PM.. Reason: add
Closed Thread