Old 08-19-2024, 10:21 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I remember everyone being horny for minotaur axes
Best quote ever Cider.
I hope you meant it.
Old 08-19-2024, 10:32 AM
Sarnak

They're not even magic! Everyone on povar wanted one so bad for some reason.
Old 08-19-2024, 10:44 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekco [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"Do you feel like the early days of EQ are forever lost to time?"

Everyone comes here for difference reasons but most eventually reach the same conclusion.

I came because I wasn't in the cool kid's club on Fennin because i was retarded 13-year-old at the time, standing in EC tunnel here with a PD Robe when TMO still had that shit on lockdown wearing the guild tag I idolized as a kid didn't make me feel better, i felt nothing.
Oh dang Fennin Ro alum eh? Me too, probably about that same age when i was playing as well. I would be in awe when coming across those TMO people man, absolutely idolized them as well.
Old 08-19-2024, 10:57 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciderpress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
One shots decayed skeletons. Do you have any idea how many bone chips that is?!

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 08-19-2024, 11:06 AM
Sarnak

True didn't think of that!

Heh it's funny to just think back on how naive I was about the game. I remember thinking that really expensive statless fine steel armor you can buy from vendors was the end goal of any warrior. I was like wow I can look like the guild trainer in halas, cool! Derp.
Old 08-19-2024, 11:41 AM
Kobold

All this talk is why I'm looking forward to Monsters and Memories. I know it won't be the same as when we were all newbs back in the day but it's probably the closest we'll ever get. An EQ type game but with different zones, different items, different quests and different mobs.

It should at least be fun for few years before it becomes saturated with twinks and powerlevelers. Which I wouldn't necessarily have anything against but in a grouping game it does kind of ruin things when there is too much of that going on.
Old 08-19-2024, 11:45 AM
Planar Protector

The interesting thing about that armour is the sell back ratio for it was pretty good, so really a 500pp bp is just 50pp with 450pp refundable deposit (something like that).

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 08-19-2024, 03:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciderpress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There weren't many options for a low level upgrade; it was either buy something better from a vendor (people didn't have the money), or get a better drop from Crushbone throne room (highly contested), or Trumpy Irontoe quest (people didn't know about it). Thus the Minotaur Axe became the most achievable weapon in circulation up through the teens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
All this talk is why I'm looking forward to Monsters and Memories. I know it won't be the same as when we were all newbs back in the day but it's probably the closest we'll ever get.
Eh, it's possible to do a lot more than what they're trying to do if the goal is to get closer to what very early EQ felt like, and make it even more engaging in some ways and more of a constant mystery.

But yeah, it won't ever be the exact same, since part of the awe-factor back then was being the first game of its genre. It literally felt like stepping into another world, into the fantasy novels we read and wanted to see brought to life. Maybe a very young kid these days would still get that same feeling with the right game, if you keep them away from other media beforehand. But even then, with the overall mechanics of an MMO now being more understood, and voice chat existing and videos and other info being put up online everywhere, the community as a whole won't ever play these games exactly like it was in the early days.

The NPC behaviors and quest/item drops need to keep changing for an MMO to prevent everything from becoming quickly "solved".
Old 08-19-2024, 04:58 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There weren't many options for a low level upgrade; it was either buy something better from a vendor (people didn't have the money), or get a better drop from Crushbone throne room (highly contested), or Trumpy Irontoe quest (people didn't know about it). Thus the Minotaur Axe became the most achievable weapon in circulation up through the teens.
Hah yeah I do sometimes forget just how grueling the early game could be. It felt like a big deal the first time I ever saved up 50 plat. I was like oooo, what shall I splurge on??
Old 08-19-2024, 08:03 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Do you feel like the early days of EQ are forever lost to time?
Only until there is a little neuralnet switch that lets you forget selective memories.