Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 08-13-2024, 10:24 AM
Planar Protector

With respect to OP, yeah open/multi-guild raids existed on most servers. Not all the time, but it was a thing that happened at various points on most servers. At the same time there were guilds that were larger and more coordinated and didn't need to combine together with others to take down content. but yeah early on your ability to raid was much less tied to being in a "raiding" guild.

The open/combined raids happened less and less on most servers as the classic timeline progressed however. A combination of increasing player base size, knowledge of strategies and spawn timers, and pixel lust caused being in a "raiding" guild to become much more of a thing. Certainly by Velious I would hazard a guess that the vast majority of servers had one or two major raiding guilds.
Old 08-13-2024, 11:42 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The open/combined raids happened less and less on most servers as the classic timeline progressed however.
I'm not sure that's true. On Bristlebane at least, it was the opposite: the server started out with a competitive guild scene, but then at the end of Velious Vox and Naggy were opened up to anyone (there was a server-wide bulletin board where you could enter a raffle to lead a raid against one of the dragons).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue or Green servers, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of platinum and/or gear! Send me a forum message for details.
Old 08-13-2024, 11:57 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not sure that's true. On Bristlebane at least, it was the opposite: the server started out with a competitive guild scene, but then at the end of Velious Vox and Naggy were opened up to anyone (there was a server-wide bulletin board where you could enter a raffle to lead a raid against one of the dragons).
Yeah outdated raid content is obviously a different story from, say, Velious raid content in the Velious era.
Old 08-13-2024, 01:12 PM
Sarnak

I don't remember what server I was on, and I never made it to raid level so my only raiding experience was hearing about a Vox raid my friend attended with his level 50 magician in early 2001. But I remember Gfay as the auction zone, I was surprised when I found out it was EC here and a lot of other places.

Sanctum Low Man Vindi Kill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyZfNjvsDRE
Old 08-13-2024, 06:03 PM
Planar Protector

Posted by someone clueless...
Quote:
Highly doubt that. It wasn't possible to switch between Everquest and another program back then; EQ took up the
Roger that. Ever heard of 2 computers little buddy? Or 3, more?
Before we dismiss things out of hand maybe have a little think first.
Old 08-13-2024, 06:52 PM
Planar Protector

Most people didn't have 2 computers. That ties into what I was saying about people generally not even having computer mics back then. It's a total fabrication to suggest that any guild back then was playing with a majority of a raid on voice chat. Like, that's literally documented among the top raid guilds too. It didn't happen. Voice chat was an extremely niche and really wasn't even talked about by players. The freaking EQ devs weren't even playing that way, which is also documented.

Also, people who did have multiple computers were generally 2-boxing. My friend's parents played EQ like that. They never used voice chat.
Old 08-13-2024, 07:50 PM
Sarnak

I actually prefer the native guild text chat for most important raid instruction. Voice too often gets cluttered with people talking over eachother at crucial moments, certain words being dropped or misunderstood due to bad connections or bad headsets yada yada. Text chat is nice cause it's easily logged and can easily be referenced later if you missed something that was said 15 seconds ago for whatever reason.

Obviously voice has advantages too, but you can easily kill all the encounters and content p99 offers without ever using any kind of voice chat.
Old 08-13-2024, 08:42 PM
Sarnak

Oh and it also doesn't help that basically everyone who plays here has the same generic nerd voice and are impossible to tell apart just by hearing them talk. Just type in /gu so I can read your stupid elf name next to the stupid thing you said.
Old 08-13-2024, 10:48 PM
Planar Protector

Thank you for sharing these incredible tales from the early days of EverQuest. Your experiences and links highlight the unique aspects that made this game so special. Also it brought back some great memories of my own. This post shouldn't be in Rants and Flames, it should be commemorated in the EverQuest Hall of Fame.
Old 08-13-2024, 11:16 PM
Planar Protector

Waa waa waa.
I didnt do it so it didnt happen.
Must be sad being so far behind the times like that.
BTW, girls sound different (to boys) on voice comms.
Other differences as well but you prolly didnt play doctors and nurses back then. Its ok.