Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 08:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't even know what's broken at this point.

What colors are we talking about here? This game has translucent, black.. as in like, the absence of color, windows right?

Am I some kind of colorblind where the empty night sky for you guys is like, a color? Because for me its the same absence of color that the translucent window is?

Is it that the window itself is translucent that is creating a muted "color" that is making it hard to see?

Is this not helping? This is all customizable:

larger caps font
custom font colors
nontransparent (color is dealers choice) windows

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I mistakenly thought that everyone was complaining because of a color choice. I mean, they were in a way, but really the "translucent that is creating a muted "color"" was the issue for them I think, and as I noted that's not something you can fix by just picking more WCAG-friendly colors (you just have to turn the translucence off, and that translucence definitely should be on by default to be classic).

But since I made a fuss I'm going to go check the merchant window colors to see if any of them fail the test, and if so I'll try to suggest better ones.

EDIT: Merchant colors are also white on black, literally the highest contrast possible. Even just visually I'm almost certain that the blue in the headers contrasts enough, but I'll find its code and check it to be sure.

Also I guess people might be complaining about the non-white text colors too, and I'll double-check all them, but again just visually I'm 99% sure the colors contrast great, and the whole issue is the transparency.

I guess on the plus side after I do this if anyone complains you can say "Our UI is WCAG-compliant ... if you just disable the 100% classic opacity, which we're not removing by default because classic, and only takes two seconds to do yourself."

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 10-16-2019 at 09:01 PM..
Old 10-16-2019, 08:56 PM
Planar Protector

np I just want to get to the bottom of the issue, I think we would all agree that we should not exclude those of us with poor eyesight, and over time we can make/find a solution that gets us everything we need to play classic everquest until we are both feet in the grave.

Hopefully those custom tips can help resolve it for some folks for now.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:00 PM
Fire Giant

Green server UI/Feedback?

The current UI is junk.

The fact that this:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

is as close as one can get to having the actual appearance of the classic UI, should be rationale enough for the no-custom-UI policy to NOT exist. There are 3rd party alternatives that are much nearer to the original classic, perhaps just include those in the patches and enable them by default, rather than the this awful iteration you've given us.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:05 PM
Planar Protector

Nobody was trying to replicate the "classic" (meaning, blue fullscreen "stone" UI) interface. This UI project seeks to emulate the Velious UI, which was itself an outgrowth of the old F10 fullscreen mode. The P1999 administrators have been quite adamant that they want classic EQ that's playable on modern hardware. Trying to force the 640x480 original fullscreen UI is not likely going to gain much traction for various reasons, including its inherent incompatibility with widescreen aspect ratios.

Danth
Old 10-16-2019, 09:06 PM
Planar Protector

"I broke the UI to make it look like poop it is therefore poop"

Make that look like it does by default and go find a fullscreen/velious screen shot and point at the differences, there are like 3
Old 10-16-2019, 09:07 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nobody was trying to replicate the "classic" (meaning, blue fullscreen "stone" UI) interface. This UI project seeks to emulate the Velious UI, which was itself an outgrowth of the old F10 fullscreen mode. The P1999 administrators have been quite adamant that they want classic EQ that's playable on modern hardware. Trying to force the 640x480 original fullscreen UI is not likely going to gain much traction for various reasons, including its inherent incompatibility with widescreen aspect ratios.

Danth
And what is the point of restricting the use of alternative UI's to keep things classic, if the closest thing that the server can implement to classic is something from Velious?

It makes 0 sense.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:07 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"I broke the UI to make it look like poop it is therefore poop"

Make that look like it does by default and go find a fullscreen/velious screen shot and point at the differences, there are like 3
oh green is launching at velious? that makes sense then, that they'd force this garbage down our throats.

I didn't break it, I changed the tint of the texture; literally right clicked each window and change two settings.

It looked like poop long before I ever altered the settings.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:10 PM
Planar Protector

Hello mcfly
Old 10-16-2019, 09:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xer0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And what is the point of restricting the use of alternative UI's to keep things classic, if the closest thing that the server can implement to classic is something from Velious?

It makes 0 sense.
See the note in my prior post that the Velious UI was an outgrowth of the F10 mode that was in the game from day 1. It's not so unclassic as you make it sound. The unclassic part is the lack of the fullscreen "stone" UI to revert to, and that can't be done within present client, technological, and manpower limitations.

Danth
Old 10-16-2019, 09:20 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xer0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I didn't break it, I changed the tint of the texture; literally right clicked each window and change two settings.
so yeah, you broke it. now buy it.
Closed Thread