Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 07:55 PM
Planar Protector

Send a message via ICQ to Uuruk Send a message via AIM to Uuruk Send a message via MSN to Uuruk Send a message via Yahoo to Uuruk

This community would be great for Ultima Online.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fame [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I really like that aspect of the game lol

I don't like the idea of everyone getting a fair chance at everything in the game. Some of these dudes put in work, the effort should be rewarded
The problem is it is human nature to try to minimize the difficulty of anything to the point it is no longer challenging. The only way to control difficulty is to control how many players can attack the target. Even mobs that were designed to be unkillable were killed in EQ (Sleeper) because endless swarms of bodies were thrown at it until it died. This lead to an endless cycle of the mobs hitting harder and having more HP and taking longer and longer to kill. This peaked in Vex Thall when the encounters got so retarded people would literally AFK with autoattack on for a half an hour.

Even the EQ devs realized this was stupid and began instancing content in PoP.

Honestly, I think the way WoW does it with limited open world mobs but the majority being contained in time locked raid instances is the right way to go.

Imagine how much different this server would be if a guild like Azrael or Friends could kill NToV mobs in a 36 man instance, but the top tier mobs like AoW, Vulak, etc were contested. It would have the dual effect of allowing smaller guilds the change to gear up 75% of the way without needing to join a zerg, and zergs being less desirable to form in the first place due to limited raid spots.

I will say though in a game like EQ where classes are not all created equal, you'd struggle to find a spot in the tier 1 raid group as a shadowknight for example. WoW had to resort to gimmicky mechanics like a single unique buff to make sure you'd want to bring at least one of each class along.

Still, benefits outweigh the drawbacks?

That is my dear diary novella for the month of December thanks for reading.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbrand [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hardcore pvp penalties discourage PvPing and just result in people avoiding pvp. See: kunark when there was exp loss. Rallos zek. Discord.
I think it is actually the lack of rewards more so than the potential loss. In the end it is just a different side of the same equation - the reward is rarely if ever worth the risk in EQ PVP so you're left with a handful of people doing it just for fun.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:20 PM
Planar Protector

I read it, would def be an awesome setup with that mix you were talking about. Till then, we gotta work with what we got.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uuruk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This community would be great for Ultima Online.
Meridian 59 was better sorry pal UO took many ideas from Meridian. Meridian 59 was the first of its kind.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:18 PM
Aviak

You guys still leveling up? Downloaded few days ago and got my warlock to 29 so far. Wouldn't mind some peeps to level up with.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsung [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Meridian 59 was better sorry pal UO took many ideas from Meridian. Meridian 59 was the first of its kind.
lol meridian 59 sucked shit
Old 12-10-2015, 09:26 PM
Planar Protector

Send a message via ICQ to Uuruk Send a message via AIM to Uuruk Send a message via MSN to Uuruk Send a message via Yahoo to Uuruk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kergan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
lol meridian 59 sucked shit
Old 12-10-2015, 10:00 PM
Banned

never played it but confirming it looks like shit
Old 12-10-2015, 10:28 PM
Banned

it was a haven for rmters and Russians
Closed Thread