Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 11:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardp1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Getting a tattoo of a penis on your actual penis? I think there is a subtle beauty to the idea
Tattooing a vagina on mine so that I can have a vagina inside a vagina after srs
Old 12-01-2018, 11:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaight [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is sad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I can see Rogean never following up on this and posting an explanation cause it's NONE OF YA GODDAMN BIZNESS.

He's one of the most fair people I've ever met and I'm certain he's doing a thorough investigation. I trust his decision, but I can see him not posting what happened so as not to incite more ~server drama~ When that other GM Derubal or whatever (before my time) was kicked out, was there any official staff response?
Derubal was whitewashed. But he was a nice guy. Presided over one of red99s peak seasons. Ya he probably cheated n broke the rules, but he did it out of a desire to better red99
Old 12-01-2018, 11:20 AM
Banned

Oh, and RIP sirkdawg. It was nice of u to watch over us..

I feel old now that p99 is retiring staff
Old 12-01-2018, 02:23 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaight [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is sad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I can see Rogean never following up on this and posting an explanation cause it's NONE OF YA GODDAMN BIZNESS.

He's one of the most fair people I've ever met and I'm certain he's doing a thorough investigation. I trust his decision, but I can see him not posting what happened so as not to incite more ~server drama~ When that other GM Derubal or whatever (before my time) was kicked out, was there any official staff response?
I really don't see how a gm accused of a undermining and sabotaging a server is none of the servers business.

"if the rules are all you use to determine what you should or shouldn't do, you're probably an a-hole" -soup

Hooden • Xegony enchanter '00 - '02 • <Aeternus> from SoD '06 - '07
Old 12-01-2018, 02:54 PM
Kobold

I was a GM on a popular NWN server like 15 years ago. It was a server I started on not knowing a single person but I was active in the community, became friends with the admins and was eventually given a position of power. There is a very real temptation to abuse your powers especially when you have no way of being caught. I failed to resist it and gave in to my desires to summon items and gold for my characters and for a few other people. During this time I ran fun GM events and helped out a lot of people and went on being the best GM I could be despite doing a lot of shady shit.

After several months I started to feel really guilty for betraying the admins/communities trust behind the scene and turned myself in. I sent the admins a message detailing everything I had done, logged off from the forums, uninstalled the game and never looked back. In the end it felt bad to live a double life and be a hypocrite suspending/banning people for breaking the rules while at the same time doing things much worse.

I only had a few interactions with Sirken and he was always good by me. My situation and whatever his situation is are slightly different but I empathize with him. It isn't as easy as people think to resist the urge to abuse power whether its in an Elfsim or IRL. Best of luck to you Sirken wherever the future takes you.
Old 12-01-2018, 02:56 PM
Orc

Bye Sirken, always helped me out

We've all acted stupidly due to being boned up
Old 12-01-2018, 03:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neno [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was a GM on a popular NWN server like 15 years ago. It was a server I started on not knowing a single person but I was active in the community, became friends with the admins and was eventually given a position of power. There is a very real temptation to abuse your powers especially when you have no way of being caught. I failed to resist it and gave in to my desires to summon items and gold for my characters and for a few other people. During this time I ran fun GM events and helped out a lot of people and went on being the best GM I could be despite doing a lot of shady shit.

After several months I started to feel really guilty for betraying the admins/communities trust behind the scene and turned myself in. I sent the admins a message detailing everything I had done, logged off from the forums, uninstalled the game and never looked back. In the end it felt bad to live a double life and be a hypocrite suspending/banning people for breaking the rules while at the same time doing things much worse.

I only had a few interactions with Sirken and he was always good by me. My situation and whatever his situation is are slightly different but I empathize with him. It isn't as easy as people think to resist the urge to abuse power whether its in an Elfsim or IRL. Best of luck to you Sirken wherever the future takes you.
Props for sharing that very honest story.

It's easy to quote Tolkien from the sidelines ("absolute power corrupts absolutely"), but it's a whole hell of a lot harder to be Frodo with absolute power sitting literally in the palm of your hand. Although, in Sirken's (and Derbuael's, and ...) case it was more the fingertips than the palm.

Not defending, attacking, or judging anyone's actions, just saying that whatever Sirken did, we should all make sure we haven't/wouldn't do the same thing ourselves before we start throwing stones. And I say that even though I (and I think everyone here) feels legitimately betrayed by Sirken's actions.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue or Green servers, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of platinum and/or gear! Send me a forum message for details.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:

I'm not going to drudge shit up, or go into any specific detail or drop any names. For now we'll leave it at if you know, you know. If you don't, you won't.

Someone here is judging Sirken for a similar action that he himself had previously presided over. It wasn't exactly as clean cut as this, and it was a bit more complicated. But he gave himself a second chance and some server policies were changed in response to it. Changes were made behind closed doors. We all moved on. We didn't need a public thread acknowledging it or anyone getting "exposed".

But now there's no second chance for Sirken. That's where people are having problems with this.

You might be able to argue "Well that was ancient history, nearly 10 years ago. How can you compare these two incidences". But its a pretty weak argument using time elapsed.

The double standard here is where most of us have a problem with Sirken's alleged punishment (permanent removal from staff). It's coming across as too knee-jerky considering we've survived similar stuff here when Blue first launched and we had GM events and "random rolls" and prizes distributed for event loot.

All things considered, a lot of us feel Sirken is more valuable than the treatment he's getting. This should have been a peanut incident and dismissed like a couple other incidents that happened during the early blue days. But it wasn't. Why is this incident any different? You have to ask at this point if Sirken is receiving fair treatment.

PKer & Master Trainer and Terrorist of Sullon Zek
Kills: 1278, Deaths: 76, Killratio: 16.82
Old 12-01-2018, 06:38 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuklak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I really don't see how a gm accused of a undermining and sabotaging a server is none of the servers business.
How many times does it have to be said? This is a free server that requires nothing to play. You don’t pay them. They don’t pay you to do work for them. You’re entitled to nothing.
twitch.tv/kayyte_p99
Old 12-01-2018, 06:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonkie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread