Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 06-19-2023, 04:14 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You’re flip flopping on whether immediate impact or efficiency is more important on charm break.

Imo a burst heal, stun or basic root and toeing the mob are often better than slow/dispel. Dispel could end up being equivalent to a nuke for thousands of hp if you’re retaining a buffed pet. If you aren’t retaining pets the slow isn’t ao bad as you can just cc the old pet for being killed and charm a new one.

Enc/shaman better lends itself to a different play style so it is a bit apples/oranges.

Edit: forgot to mention encs are usually pretty keen on active positioning so that is a big red glaf on torpor there.
I am not sure what you mean by flip flopping. I think you are misreading something, or I wasn't very clear.

The important thing on a charm break is getting it under control. A Shaman can root, heal, and slow to prevent the mob from killing the Enchanter. I am not advocating you immediatly go for the slow hehe. As you say, root works fine a lot of the time, or spot heals + Torpor.

Slow is more of an emergency option, and it is an effective one. If you can wait a minute or two for root to wear off, you can wait for a 3 mimute slow to wear if you don't want to dispel buffs. If your Echanter is good, slow should be rarely needed to begin with.

I've never seen Torpor snare significantly hinder an Enchanter. They don't need to run long distances to handle their pets.

With Malosini you should be getting less charm breaks as well, which reduces the need to do anything.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 06-19-2023 at 04:17 AM..
Old 06-19-2023, 04:28 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've never seen Torpor snare significantly hinder an Enchanter. They don't need to run long distances to handle their pets.
I have to defer to your more recent experiences … I’ve not personally duoed a torpor shaman with an enchanter since pop-coa era which is a lifetime ago and a different iteration of eq.

All i have here is second hand xp, external observations and theoryquest.

Regarding roots wearing off I always keep the lowest level root on my bar (and usually at least one longer duration one on top of that). I don’t think you need to be waiting so long for root to fade.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 06-19-2023, 04:44 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have to defer to your more recent experiences … I’ve not personally duoed a torpor shaman with an enchanter since pop-coa era which is a lifetime ago and a different iteration of eq.

All i have here is second hand xp, external observations and theoryquest.

Regarding roots wearing off I always keep the lowest level root on my bar (and usually at least one longer duration one on top of that). I don’t think you need to be waiting so long for root to fade.
I agree using the short term root is a good strategy. I just think it doesn't matter too much if you have to wait 3 minutes for a slow to fade after a really bad break, which should be rare. This is assuming you don't want to dispel to speed it up.

If you are getting multiple bad breaks per hour that require a slow, the issue is probably with the Enchanter, and your group isn't going to be very efficient anyway. If your Enchanter is good, it isn't like you are going to need to slow on a break multiple times in an hour.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 06-19-2023 at 04:46 AM..
Old 06-19-2023, 06:19 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
This is crux to why cleric is better (than shaman - we know many encs prefer solitude to a duo/trio anyway). The chance of resisting both stuns is far smaller than a single one.
This is it,if I get interrupted or resisted there is a good chance the cleric won't
If I get summoned right after a break il likely have 2 mobs on me,so this is very useful.
With cleric support im much less likely to need to mes my pet,so it's out of the fight for just a few seconds

Enchanter shaman works, but it's a completely different playstyle.
It works if you cycle through pets and have the shaman pulling and slowing. Shaman pulls, roots and slows and keeps mobs lined up for your pet to chew through.
It's good in spots like geos, target rich environments with lots of room.
Old 06-19-2023, 10:04 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatChapp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is it,if I get interrupted or resisted there is a good chance the cleric won't
If I get summoned right after a break il likely have 2 mobs on me,so this is very useful.
With cleric support im much less likely to need to mes my pet,so it's out of the fight for just a few seconds

Enchanter shaman works, but it's a completely different playstyle.
It works if you cycle through pets and have the shaman pulling and slowing. Shaman pulls, roots and slows and keeps mobs lined up for your pet to chew through.
It's good in spots like geos, target rich environments with lots of room.
You don't need to cycle pets with a Shaman. You can keep the same pet just fine.
Old 06-19-2023, 10:06 AM
Planar Protector

The answer here is enc/cleric & ogre SK. Can kill basically anything. If there is like one trioable mob out there that requires war disc, just find a war bot for it.
Old 06-19-2023, 11:54 AM
Fire Giant

You don't need to cycle pets with a shaman, but why wouldn't you.
New pet costs malo,tash,allure and haste. Very mana efficient, I did a lot of this while leveling.
Shaman doesn't get a lot of breaks to canni/med so his mana was usually pretty tight
Old 06-19-2023, 12:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatChapp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You don't need to cycle pets with a shaman, but why wouldn't you.
New pet costs malo,tash,allure and haste. Very mana efficient, I did a lot of this while leveling.
Shaman doesn't get a lot of breaks to canni/med so his mana was usually pretty tight
Oh I am not saying you can't cycle, I just don't want people to think that is the only way with a Shaman. Whichever strategy works best for the camp is doable with a Shaman.

If someone wants to name some camps that they think a Cleric would be considerably better at we could test it. Obviously any camp that requires a Warrior discing is going to need a Cleric, but there aren't too many of those camps for a trio. You can generally just ask a Warrior and Cleric outside of your trio for help when you are doing epic pieces. It is safer anyway, since you don't want to lose your progress.
Old 06-19-2023, 12:40 PM
Fire Giant

A cleric is required for dok royals.
Not just for complete heal,but to res the enchanters as they die
A shaman could probably outheal queen damage on the pets once she's slowed,but I don't think torpor would keep up until that point
Old 06-19-2023, 12:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
A cleric is required for dok royals.
Not just for complete heal,but to res the enchanters as they die
A shaman could probably outheal queen damage on the pets once she's slowed,but I don't think torpor would keep up until that point
Oh sure, Chardok Royals is a camp where you need a Cleric. You can use a Mage as well to do some CoTH shenanigans. That is one of the camps where unless OP wants to farm it endlessly, you can just bring friends when you want to do it. No need to level a Cleric to 60 for that.

I am not saying Cleric/Enchanter/Warrior is a bad trio. I am simply saying Shaman/Enchanter/Monk is a powerful trio that can do all of the normal stuff a trio would want to do, all the way to 60. You can bring Clerics and Warriors for specific content you occasionally want to do. If OP is looking to do some very specific end game farming, the trio he wants to build could change. I would totally agree that Cleric/Enchanter/Warrior would be better if OP just wants to do a lot of Chardok Royals, getting a few more players together to do a lot of Epic stuff, etc. It really just depends on what you want to farm at that point.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 06-19-2023 at 01:08 PM..