Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Look, it is very frustrating that the P99 staff doesn't communicate. It's also frustrating that nothing appears to be happening with a new server.

But don't let your frustration lead you to draw incorrect conclusions. The staff have always been secretive, and have always always moved at a slower pace than the player base wants ... but they've also always kept to their goal of trying to enable people to experience classic EQ.
Im not frustrated, I assume there is a legal reason this pirated game is not able to release new servers while daybreak makes the lionshare of its rev from TLP servers (which it started right around 2015, and while activision was fighting to shut down nost for that very reason with wow).

from your wiki link:

Quote:
that formally recognizes Project 1999 as a fan based, not-for-profit, classic EverQuest emulation project.
I said the reason likely is its expensive and they can't make proffit and dont want to wipe the other servers.
Last edited by shovelquest; Yesterday at 08:00 PM..
Old Yesterday, 07:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Remember when everyone was like “there is never gonna be another server” and green dropped out of nowhere.

Hell, remember how people were saying velious would never come to p99?
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=123611

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrunner5 (2013)
The internet will be banned before Velious comes out. Stop worrying. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue or Green servers, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of platinum and/or gear! Send me a forum message for details.
Old Yesterday, 07:58 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Remember when everyone was like “there is never gonna be another server” and green dropped out of nowhere.

Hell, remember how people were saying velious would never come to p99?
Not really, I remember taking time off months in advance for green, which I was anticipating for like a year practicing classic quests.
Old Today, 01:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelquest [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Everyone has a different tale about what the agreement is.
Yeah except in this case we're talking specifically about what the literal people who signed the agreement said it says
Old Today, 01:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelquest [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Im not frustrated, I assume there is a legal reason this pirated game is not able to release new servers while daybreak makes the lionshare of its rev from TLP servers (which it started right around 2015, and while activision was fighting to shut down nost for that very reason with wow).

from your wiki link:

I said the reason likely is its expensive and they can't make proffit and dont want to wipe the other servers.
Again, there's no legal reason because Daybreak literally signed an agreement that allows new servers as long as they don't go past Velious.

They're not wiping the other servers, they'd just merge Green and Blue together as they said they would at the launch of Green (and as they've demonstrated with server merges before, it's easy to do this).

IIRC Rogean has said in the past that while server costs are not necessarily small, he has no problem covering the cost and a lot is offset through donations. And in any case, again, this wouldn't be incurring incremental cost; you would merge Green and Blue so you'd be left with the same number of servers as you have now. So your cost argument is moot as well.

This is solely a lack of energy/interest from them to do it right now. Which is okay and it's understandable. They're unpaid volunteers. Unfortunately it's par for the course for P99. Engagement comes in waves (including with Green launch where we waited years for it). Eventually they will get the energy to do it. Until then we just enjoy P99 as is.
Old Today, 01:12 PM
Planar Protector

They also already opened a second green server (teal) and merged it (into green) so new servers nor merges are completely off the table.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old Today, 01:14 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
They also already opened a second green server (teal) and merged it (into green) so new servers nor merges are completely off the table.
That's a good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Again, there's no legal reason because Daybreak literally signed an agreement that allows new servers as long as they don't go past Velious.
No need to repeat yourself, it doesn't say that on the wiki link about the agreement so I'm curious where you got that information.
Last edited by shovelquest; Today at 01:16 PM..
Old Today, 01:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quote:
No need to repeat yourself, it doesn't say that on the wiki link about the agreement so I'm curious where you got that information.
You're right, no one really knows what's in the agreement ... but if you just think about the interests of the people involved, one would expect a clause like that to be in the agreement.

Why? First look at P99: they have been very clear, from day one, that they despise "cats on the moon". The P99 folks have zero interest whatsoever in taking P99 to Luclin (or beyond), except possibly in a very limited/custom capacity (eg. offering specific AAs as the result of a custom "epic quest").

Daybreak's interests are also clear: they want to make money off live EQ. But they've decided that P99 doesn't threaten that: it's so different from live that it's not a competitor (in fact, I think they recognize that it helps keep people's interest in the game alive, and actually drives more customers to play on their servers). So their only concern is that P99 could someday become such a competitor, if they impliment Luclin+ expansions.

Agreeing not to go past Velious is in everyone's interests: Daybreak gets a guarantee that P99 won't compete with them, and P99 gives up nothing (but gets the other benefits of the agreement, most importantly an assurance that Daybreak won't attack them with lawyers).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue or Green servers, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of platinum and/or gear! Send me a forum message for details.
Old Today, 02:05 PM
Kobold

I think its perfect just the way it is, but it would be cool to get a fresh server since I came to P99 after green was already in Velious. Would be fun to just start EQ on day 1 with everyone else and progress to where green/blue are now.
Old Today, 03:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
That's a good point.

The staff have said it before

The Wiki isn't something to rely on for everything because it's totally user managed and not touched by the staff