Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 09-24-2024, 08:09 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I vaguely remember this too, but there's no https://wiki.project1999.com/Patch%20Notes mentioning it ... although Verant liked to keep tradeskill recipes a big secret, so that doesn't prove anything.

I did find an old Wayback Machine cut of EQ Traders, supposedly from 1999, that shows both gems existing: https://web.archive.org/web/19991128...eqtraders.com/. Interestingly, they claim that there was no recipes for blue diamonds ... but also, that page mentions enchanted velium, which clearly didn't exist in 1999 ... so I think it's actually a later archive, and Wayback is just confused about dates.

But the fact that (by Velious) the tradeskill addicts on that site (and on Caster's Realm, the Enchanter site) hadn't yet figured out the recipes for Blue Diamonds at least strongly suggests that they were added in late Kunark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Got it maybe I misread your post. I'd also note that the planes were in development well before Vox/Naggy were first killed. It wasn't their deaths that prompted the devs to think more "raid" type content was needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Meaning could people craft things with them? unsure about blue diamond but certain black sapphire jewelry is craftable pre-Kunark.
Nice, thanks for these, yes I think so too, I just did a quick search and looks like black sapphire is also used for that Vox white scale cloak quest, and yes I just can't find that patch note regarding blue diamond, I will try to post the link if I manage to find it somewhere
Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Overall I think this is accurate, but not sure I would say that not many people reached 50 out of the total population of players. It certainly took people longer than it would today, but there were a solid number of level 50s by the time PoF came out.

I thought Megaladon (or other massive lake NPC) was never in beta and was just a rumor or otherwise there were stray references in code etc. that indicated they had thought about putting one in there and never did. Mayong Mistmoore existed as a standard NPC during Beta?

I also don't recall no 800 x 600 till Velious. Pretty sure I was playing on that resolution in Kunark as it had been around for a few years by then. You could still see chat/combat text while meditating with spellbook btw (not sure if that last sentence was you saying you couldn't).
Two major diffs. During first year:

1) There were way more players than hardcore players, the ratio was probably 100:1. Honestly, maybe larger. This is the opposite of today, and also the opposite of the past 2 decades more or less on this IP.

2) The hit status of EQ created a fast crop of servers. There were two waves of servers if I remember correctly. So those on the first wave servers, that's the initial hardcore population. A server like Quellious was second wave and had a diff growth curve simply b/c they had to homegrow hardcore more or less from scratch. No char transfers yet.
Old Today, 12:30 AM
Planar Protector

You can't exactly recapture the magic. I do remember doing the Langseax quest literally 15 times before getting my Langseax of the Wolves and I thought I was the dopest warrior to ever walk Norrath. But even on a refresh server most probably wouldn't bother.

I think the only thing at this point that will come close to recapturing the original spirit is a full on 'season of discovery' similar to WoW. You would literally have a custom server with potentially different mechanics, spawn locs or even spawn dynamics (static locations change? what? no camping rares? mobs have a chance to spawn on top of you the longer you engage?), different items / spells / effects.

It would not be classic, but there would be no wiki and I think it would be amazing. Rumors would abound and mechanics would be misunderstood.

Sadly, for an emulator probably too much client limitations since it can't be altered, and P99 does not have the dev power for it.
Old Today, 02:18 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But even on a refresh server most probably wouldn't bother.
Dude, as far as I could tell I was the only person doing this quest on Quarm despite it being a DOPE weapon easily attainable at 20 (just get a necro XPing in the area to kite the kill).

Was a little sad about that, ngl!

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old Today, 09:43 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can't exactly recapture the magic. I do remember doing the Langseax quest literally 15 times before getting my Langseax of the Wolves and I thought I was the dopest warrior to ever walk Norrath. But even on a refresh server most probably wouldn't bother.

I think the only thing at this point that will come close to recapturing the original spirit is a full on 'season of discovery' similar to WoW. You would literally have a custom server with potentially different mechanics, spawn locs or even spawn dynamics (static locations change? what? no camping rares? mobs have a chance to spawn on top of you the longer you engage?), different items / spells / effects.

It would not be classic, but there would be no wiki and I think it would be amazing. Rumors would abound and mechanics would be misunderstood.

Sadly, for an emulator probably too much client limitations since it can't be altered, and P99 does not have the dev power for it.
No tweak can "surprise" me about this entire property. I am betting I am far and away the norm.

Far and Away was when Tom and Nicole fell in love.

The Oklahoma Land Rush movie never depicts the fact, as all those white folk sprinted and tore into Oklahoma, Native American faces already in Oklahoma were saying, "Damn, this is just like what will happen to the Palestinians in 1948!" Apt analogy, I agree, but I would say, it's all in how you play that shitty hand. Tribes owned it. Palestinians, not so much.

I. Still. Believe.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]