Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

View Poll Results: Would you play on a permadeath server?
Yes 36 52.17%
No 33 47.83%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2021, 12:54 PM
Planar Protector

Everquest is too slow of a game for permadeath to be a fun mechanic. This isn't like Diablo 2 where you can get a character up to level 75 in like 10 hours.

There are just too many factors that can instant kill your character if you are not careful, including technical troubles such as going LD.

A server like that would also have a huge problem with class distributions. Most people would probably be running classes like Necro/Monk/Shadowknight for FD. Rogues and Warriors probably wouldn't exist.
Old 12-03-2021, 01:03 PM
Planar Protector

when I play eq im looking for an excuse to escape my heroin addiction every time.

If permadeath was around then I may not ever come back when i died, but I may play a lot more seriously.

Or option c Id play way more seriously for a few weeks then die drunk one night just trying to bank, and never come back.
Old 12-03-2021, 01:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
when I play eq im looking for an excuse to escape my heroin addiction every time.

If permadeath was around then I may not ever come back when i died, but I may play a lot more seriously.

Or option c Id play way more seriously for a few weeks then die drunk one night just trying to bank, and never come back.
Heroin addiction and EQ go hand in hand.
“The fundamental question is, will I be as effective as a boss like my dad was? And I will be, even more so. But until I am, it's going to be hard to verify that I think I'll be more effective.“- Little Carmine
Old 12-03-2021, 01:46 PM
Banned

WoW is trying out the permadeath thing on their Season of Mastery server, but like Shamwow mentioned, not only did they already have faster leveling, but they boosted it with +40% xp gain from quest turn ins

The funny thing is people already found out ways to grief the hardcore players on PVE servers. What they do is get a group of rogues to hide in strealth near a quest mob, with one wearing a mind control cap engineering item. Then right when an opposing faction player is about to tag the mob, the rogue comes out of stealth and mind controls it. This puts the mob on his faction, so when they player tags the mob he flags himself for pvp as if he just attacked a player. Then the gang of rogues jump him at level 60 and ruin his hardcore run lol
Old 12-03-2021, 04:57 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd rather see a /permadeath command (on Blue) you can use to flag yourself for permadeath. Otherwise a server of just such people would probably be pretty lonely.
Basically this, although I'd like it on new servers. A server would literally die - quickly. Griefers as well as people ragequitting would reduce it to Red levels of whocares in 3 month's time.

I recall a guild on blue... I think the name was No Need for Rez(?) which was for this intent. I do think a /command would be a mistake though, as this could be initiated by anyone with access to the account. It'd be preferable for it to be an option when creating the character. May as well have it automatically place you in a permadeath guild that you can choose to leave or hide with /anon in order to avoid griefers and find fellow lunatics to play with.

I wouldn't play a server dedicated to it but I'd give this a go for funsies.
Old 12-03-2021, 05:16 PM
Planar Protector

No Time To Rez
Old 12-03-2021, 05:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
WoW is trying out the permadeath thing on their Season of Mastery server, but like Shamwow mentioned, not only did they already have faster leveling, but they boosted it with +40% xp gain from quest turn ins

The funny thing is people already found out ways to grief the hardcore players on PVE servers. What they do is get a group of rogues to hide in strealth near a quest mob, with one wearing a mind control cap engineering item. Then right when an opposing faction player is about to tag the mob, the rogue comes out of stealth and mind controls it. This puts the mob on his faction, so when they player tags the mob he flags himself for pvp as if he just attacked a player. Then the gang of rogues jump him at level 60 and ruin his hardcore run lol
now that's everquesting.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
now that's everquesting.
The interesting thing is, the only reason that Season of Mastery exists is because Holly Windstalker, formerly a live EQ dev, got hired by Blizzard and taught them all what a financial goldmine TLP variant servers with different rulechanges (such as faster leveling, harder raid bosses, and "hardcore" mode on Season of Mastery servers) can be for your company
Old 12-03-2021, 08:14 PM
Aviak

You know the second enough people get high enough to do a serious raid they will all be trained royally. On a server like that, there is really no consequences for griefers. Even if you get banned, that would be no different then the permadeaths you inflict on others to get that ban. Youll just restart like everyone else but had the satisfaction of permadeathing 50+ hardcore raiders lol.
Old 12-03-2021, 08:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The interesting thing is, the only reason that Season of Mastery exists is because Holly Windstalker, formerly a live EQ dev, got hired by Blizzard and taught them all what a financial goldmine TLP variant servers with different rulechanges (such as faster leveling, harder raid bosses, and "hardcore" mode on Season of Mastery servers) can be for your company
I'm not sure she was the pioneer of changing game mechanics (XP rates etc) to keep things interesting.
Closed Thread