Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-27-2021, 09:15 PM
Sarnak

Default Low FPS as a result of P99s fixed framerate?

Hello.

Since Windows 10 violated me with a non-consensual '''''''feature update'''''''', I've been experiencing lower-than-satisfactory FPS on all Project 1999 servers.
Seeing as I am no longer able to rollback this update (as another thread suggested), I've been trying to pinpoint the cause.

So as a test, I went to another server (PEQ I believe) and was greeted with the same choppy 20-30 FPS. That is, until I adjusted the FPS slider from 60 to 100. Lo and behold, things are running as they should!! Until we return to P99, where the FPS slider is restricted to decreasing the framerate only.

Seeing as this appears to not be a common issue for most P99 players, I'm feeling like it could be related to my hardware settings? Currently running on a Ryzen 3600 CPU + RX 580 GPU combo. I've tried messing around with Radeon software settings, setting up a specific profile for eqgame.exe, turning off Radeon Chill / Enhanced Sync etc as well as attempting to set a fixed minimum/maximum framerate within the software.

My theory is that the game may no longer be utilizing the GPU (or possibly CPU) enough when it is being capped at 60FPS, for whatever reason (this was not rly the case before the forced windows update) However, I am kind of out of ideas on what specific settings I should try to modify. If anyone has experienced this with a similar set up and has any suggestions I would be most grateful!

Some things I've tried so far:

Reinstalling latest graphics drivers with factory reset
Running the game in Fullscreen
Running WinEQ2 with CPU AFFINITY changes on and off, EQPlayNice FPS limiting high
dgvoodoo & Wined3d
Adjusting in game resolution and graphics settings
Deleting eqclient.ini and UI configurations for characters
Reinstalling the P99 patch files
Other things listed above in my huge blanket of text
eqlog.txt is off, so no overly large log files