Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-02-2020, 01:42 PM
Aviak

Default Why do you denounce other player ?

Hello, not so long time reader, first time poster...

As the title summarizes it, why some of us denounce others without a shred of inquiry or interaction before hand ?

A little bit of background : I was playing with a friend in Perma, he was helping me PL in one of the most empty zone of the server at any time of the day when we both had the surprise to see a GM appears out of thin air. Drop group, join group, port to Unrest, boxing test, pass test and back to Perma. It took 15 mins max. The GM was very cool and I asked him why ? Answer : a petition was filed some days/weeks ago that I /we were boxing...
As simple as that. a baseless accusation wasted our time, mine, my friend’s and the GM’s.

All it took was a simple line with /petition in front from a anonymous person that surely didn’t event think twice about it.

Personal background : I am french and denunciation is a big moral and cultural dilemna in my country because of world war 2 and the occupation of france by the nazi. «*Good citizens*» at the time told the police and the nazy where they could find Jews who then were deported to camps. Which means that even 70 years later, denunciation is mostly used by people with an axe to grind against someone they envy. Jealous of your neighbour, write an anonymous letter to the French IRS, and all kind of variation.

So back to my question : why do it ? What is the personal/moral justification we/you use when you denounce someone. Why do we take up the mantle of justice and we denounce without even tryin to interact with the suspect first ?

I want to add that this is neither ranting or flaming, just a genuine question about a behavior I literally don’t understand and will never reciprocate.

Any insight is welcome and thx again to Blistig for being courteous during the whole process.

Side note : this is one of the most destabilizing experience I ve had in this game. I m still reeling from it, from the feeling of randomness and helplessness against my accuser. Uncanny might be the term.