Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-23-2015, 09:59 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I haven't played Live in many years. I can't comment on it directly. I can say this: Most stat improvement is little more than an illusion. The stats that actually matter, such as kill rate, tank lifespan, and such things tend to stay the same. Hitting a 1000 hit point monster for 20 is effectively the same as hitting a 100000 hit point monster for 2000. You might feel stronger because you can go back and wreck obsolete content that used to be tough....but it's still no different than going back when you're level 60 and wrecking Black Burrow.

I don't know of any of the Everquest-style online games that have figured out how to control stat inflation. Players expect upgrades with expansions so it isn't an easy problem to solve. As I understand, the problem got so bad in Warcraft that Blizzard actually had to go in and lop off some zeros off everything. Whoever eventually figures out a good solution to the inflation issue might be seen as one of the genre's next big innovators.

Danth
Implement player aging. Your character starts at a fit 20 years old, and then ages according to a mix of factors, including level, time played, and actual real world time since creation. The amount of time you've got played and the level you are at control the aging rate, and to a lesser extent the real world age does as well. Once you get to 60 years or so, your abilities start to decline. When you hit 100 you can't do jack except whittle and make fun of youngsters.

OR

lose the whole idea of levels. Nobody keeps getting more HP every level. Implement tons of skill based progressions, but they are capped. Expansions are really just expansions of the playable world, and don't have anything to do with 'hardness' of content. Implement weapon and armor breakage. Make death REALLY hurt, as in you lose some character attributes or skill levels if you die too much in too short a time. If you die every now and then, plus arrange for the highest possible level res, then you won't take much damage. But if you die over and over you'll quickly have a worthless character. Of course, no one would play except nutjobs who like their games to be tough, but...we're there already [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]