Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Resolved Issues

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 07:59 AM
Fire Giant

Default Issues with Skeleton Models

I went to Everfrost to try and find some of the missing mobs from the newbie area, and noticed that the Lich of Miragul was on track. I'll discuss that in another thread, but for the purposes of this thread, he's appearing as a human with 5 different robes on, which I believe is what occurs when the game tries to call a model that isn't global. I wasn't able to find screenshots of the Lich of Miragul before the graphics were changed, but there were three shades of old model skeleton, and I believe he was black.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The white model is what was just implemented. The black model is still using the luclin graphics. I went to rathe mountains and camped the ruins until I got the black giant skeleton.

The third skeleton model had a red hue to it. Illusion drybone would correctly call the model way way back in the day. However, at some point, it only bugged and only called the plain white skeleton model and was never fixed. This is the case here, I had Quitis use both Illusion: Skeleton and Illusion: Drybone to demonstrate.

The necromancer pets also followed a progression in color. The pets became red at 39, with Malignant Dead, until the level 49 pet Invoke Death, where they became black.

Screenshot of the level 39 red skeleton pet (proper Drybone model. Oasis drybones were plain white, but fear portal drybones were this shade)

Hope this helps!
Last edited by mmiles8; 08-02-2010 at 08:05 AM..
Old 08-02-2010, 11:15 AM
Project Manager

Lich of Miragul - Fixed.

He should be white. This is a shot of me and some friends :P

"a giant skeleton" - the model was left dark in Luclin graphics because we haven't figured out how to get the dark boned skeleton graphics.

dry bones skeleton - I remember them being white

Can I see some screenshots of the different skeleton colors? White and Brownish Red are all I remember I guess.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:28 AM
Fire Giant

Ah ha. Looks like his pet was what was a different color, that explains it.

Looks like I was wrong about the third shade. I remembered dark bones being darker. Modern models having multiple shades must have thrown me off.

Couldn't find an old screenshot of the dark Giant Skeleton in Rathe (He's a quest mob, for Caduceus of Sacrament, This link from 2000 refers to him being darker, only dark one in zone), but I did find this screenshot of the a darkbone skeleton from this page:

But yeah the oasis drybones were white. I could be wrong about the Fear portal darkbones too.

Nice name there Nopie :P

Edit: Yep, he was just red. My mistake.
Last edited by mmiles8; 08-02-2010 at 11:47 AM..
Old 08-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Developer

I can't find any screenshots but I vaguely remember there being a dark skeleton that appeared to have flayed skin as its texture. Maybe this is what mmiles8 meant but black?
Old 08-02-2010, 11:47 AM
Project Manager

BTW, the brownish skeleton textures can be found in global_chr. I have no idea how to properly reference them though.

If anyone is curious to try and fix them:

skech0101.bmp
skech0102.bmp
skech0103.bmp
skech0104.bmp
skech0105.bmp
skefa0101.bmp
skeft0101.bmp
skeft0102.bmp
skehe0101.bmp
skehn0101.bmp
skehn0102.bmp
skelg0101.bmp
skeua0101.bmp
Old 08-02-2010, 12:33 PM
Large Bat

Skel form from the Call of Bones spell (can't test lich) slide instead of walking and never sit down.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:35 PM
Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bargran [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Skel form from the Call of Bones spell (can't test lich) slide instead of walking and never sit down.
Call of Bones appears normal to me. Are you seeing the old skeleton model (like the ones above), or the newer one? If you are seeing the newer one, you are missing either the globalload.txt file, or the spells_us.txt indicating what it should look like.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:26 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
BTW, the brownish skeleton textures can be found in global_chr. I have no idea how to properly reference them though.
If you get a chance, could you throw up an example of how the white model is referenced?
Old 08-02-2010, 01:38 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Call of Bones appears normal to me. Are you seeing the old skeleton model (like the ones above), or the newer one? If you are seeing the newer one, you are missing either the globalload.txt file, or the spells_us.txt indicating what it should look like.
Fixed, i was missing the new globalload file, didn't notice the resource file.
Thanks for the help. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-02-2010, 04:10 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles8 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you get a chance, could you throw up an example of how the white model is referenced?
Short answer, we don't know how they are referenced in the S3d files. We do know that the EQ client loads textures from a file, though I don't know which file it references for that texture list (probably an s3d file too.)

We moved/removed some files from loading in Resources/GlobalLoad.txt to begin with. Then, I saw that the luclin models for skeletons and wolves (the mesh for them) get loaded from global6_chr. I removed that entirely (the only textures were the luclin elementals in there, so it's fine to remove.) and the classic skeleton mesh loaded.

I then moved gequip5 down the list for loading, which told it "load the luclin textures later.", which causes it to not apply them, as it loads the classic skeleton textures beforehand. The EQ client never loads textures on top of each other. Instead, it loads them once for one model. In this case it loaded the classic mesh and the classic textures, thus resulting in a classic model

The growthplane line is somehow required for the wolves to animate. There are no animations unless that line is there, dunno why, but it requires it. Possibly because growthplane had classic wolves in it, and that's where they stored the animation files.

That's the long explanation.

The reason why dark-bone skeletons couldn't be referenced is because the client somehow has the texture list either: In a file, or hardcoded into the client. Since the luclin skeleton has one texture, which is 0, the dark-boned skeleton can't be used. It probably is referenced in the s3d but it's a client limitation.

“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” — Aristotle
Closed Thread