Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 07-08-2024, 11:25 AM
Planar Protector

Default EQ2 Origins

EQ2 recently launched a new server that's trying to be as 2004 as possible (think it's 2006 client?) And even though EQ2 sucks compared to EQ1, this might be the best way to play it. It's pretty group centric in this state and very difficult to solo. They even outlawed Krono on this one in an attempt to make it as "authentic" as possible.

https://www.everquest2.com/news/eq2-anashti-sul-is-live

Idk if I'm going to try it or not...but it seemed interesting enough to share. I thought maybe someone here might be intrigued enough to try it out.

*Blue Server*
Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)
*PQ*
Kelliam Shadowscale (57 Iksar Necromancer)

Last edited by Evia; 07-08-2024 at 11:27 AM..
Old 07-09-2024, 11:36 AM
Sarnak

I will say I played EQ2 at launch and actually really enjoyed it. Got in with the "uber" guild on my server and we were the first to kill Darathar\get prismatics and that whole experience was super epic and cool.

Quickly lost interest after the second expansion came out though and went back to EQ1 heh. Game just feels too on the rails and hand holdy.
Old 07-10-2024, 08:53 PM
Banned

I didn’t find EQ2 to be all that good. Might as well play wow, which is basically what most people did.
Old 07-11-2024, 01:53 AM
Planar Protector

What may have helped any EQ2 resurgence is just that, nobody at the time really gave it a real chance and WoW was certainly fresh and could be played on any potato PC.

I bought a new PC for EQ2 and the specs weren't bad for the time yet the frame rate/optimization was so borked even on low-medium settings it was just an easy choice to switch.
Old 07-11-2024, 04:03 PM
Sarnak

Yeah they wanted a "futureproof" engine (lol) which basically means "hey this game is gonna run like shit even on good systems!".

I had to turn every graphic setting to the lowest possible value and it honestly looked worse than EQ1 that way, but the actual content of vanilla EQ2 had a real charm to it.
Old 07-12-2024, 07:34 AM
Planar Protector

I started up wow again i'm a loser i just like soloing on low lvl alts now in that game too

bet EQ2 Origins will be a Gem for those that love it. Tho so I'm all for its success among those folks.
Old 07-12-2024, 08:13 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I started up wow again i'm a loser i just like soloing on low lvl alts now in that game too

bet EQ2 Origins will be a Gem for those that love it. Tho so I'm all for its success among those folks.
MoP remix is ridiculous for leveling alts, basically 1-70 in like 4 hours. I got all my new dudes leveled for War Within this way.
Old 07-13-2024, 12:00 AM
Aviak

It annoys me that they won't do an EQ 1 origins. Like one of the worst parts about playing on TLPs is the new Freeport. And the fact that Monks are a hero class with Plane of Time fists at launch while everyone else is stuck using really crummy weapons. UR always sucks on launch day because of the key system. Like the one time they could have made Rogue lock picking a cool and useful thing.. they didn't.
Old 07-13-2024, 09:39 AM
Sarnak

Yeah I absolutely loathe the "revamped" zone architectures like ro and freeport and highpass and stuff.

For one thing, they look super generic and way different than the original game, but it's mainly annoying cause it's totally scattershot which zones were redone and which ones weren't, so you're constantly being jerked around between a vastly different visual look depending on where you are.
Old 07-13-2024, 09:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
MoP remix is ridiculous for leveling alts, basically 1-70 in like 4 hours. I got all my new dudes leveled for War Within this way.
Too easy for me i'm sittin here watchin sunset 800m from my last quest waypoint