Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 08-07-2023, 04:21 PM
Banned

Default Star Trek: Strange New Worlds S2 E9

This is a make or break moment for longtime Star Trek fans. Here is a sample of this episode's content:

Yes, the whole episode is like that and supposedly everyone did their own signing. Some of the actors are trained singers, others needed coaching.

I liked it, but I have a soft spot for musical theater as a resident metrosexual. It's very silly but it was at least a lot of fun and something new in a pretty stuffy franchise.

Strange New Worlds is the best Star Trek show on tv right now.

Also, the Lower Decks crossover episode was solid. I have seen like half of those and they are okay, but the crossover was fun.
Old 08-07-2023, 06:06 PM
Planar Protector

Have you got a problem with ST: Discovery? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-07-2023, 06:14 PM
Planar Protector

The wife is a huge fan of this episode. I like that they stuck to the "classic" Roddenberry script and tossed in a musical episode.

Dr. M'Benga's line was great too.

Re: the crossover episode - I was crying laughing at times. Talking as if no one can hear them? I almost passed out.

-Mcoy
Old 08-07-2023, 06:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Have you got a problem with ST: Discovery? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Disco is not as good. Michael Burnham is a bad idea and a poorly written character, and everyone is always whispering.

I do like the future-future, though, it's pretty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The wife is a huge fan of this episode. I like that they stuck to the "classic" Roddenberry script and tossed in a musical episode.

Dr. M'Benga's line was great too.

Re: the crossover episode - I was crying laughing at times. Talking as if no one can hear them? I almost passed out.

-Mcoy
That was great. I liked how they wondered why everyone was speaking so slowly. Spock's smiles were a lot of fun.
Old 08-07-2023, 07:06 PM
Planar Protector

Michael Burnham is an awful character. Just behind the bald Klingons in S1 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Someone on the internet somewhere photoshopped Discovery to "The Michael Burnham Show" and it couldn't be more accurate. Not that the supporting cast have characters that can really be developed much but there's no room for that anyway with making her/them(?) the focal point all the time.
Old 08-08-2023, 12:54 AM
Planar Protector

Appearently singing uses a different part of the brain than ur inner voice/talky voice.
Old 08-08-2023, 05:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Michael Burnham is an awful character.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

(Thanks Nilbog for the image)

-Mcoy
Old 08-09-2023, 04:06 AM
Planar Protector

Thirded on Michael Burnham being a terrible character. Sonequa is a good actress, that's undeniable, but the combination of this character plus her acting style I just find incredibly hard to watch. She is thrust into your face as the main character and essentially a superhero, but without any of the personal qualities that would justify it. A martyr complex pretending to be duty and selflessness.

I have watched all of Discovery though, because Star Trek is Star Trek. If you can put a little box around Michelle Burnham then the show isn't bad. Season 4 was quite decent.

ST: SNW is out of the ballpark though. The S9 musical was amazing. I've rewatched it like 6 times now, I'm a sucker for musicals I guess. Apparently their bar was Buffy's Once More With Feeling... I went back and watched that again, and oh boy did SNW do a FAR better job. Those songs and the lip synching were absolute cheese.
Last edited by Dolalin; 08-09-2023 at 04:14 AM..
Old 08-10-2023, 02:42 AM
Planar Protector

didn't like the Michael Burnham one, but i do want a grittier star trek like DS9 or Enterprise again. Discovery had too much of a michael bay action movie with bad writing thing going on and New Worlds seem like a direct response to The Orville with too many bad jokes slipped in.

bring this type of shit back.
Old 08-10-2023, 03:29 AM
Planar Protector

I feel like everyone is gay on star trek now.

P.s. Garrick was gay. Butt in an absolutely incredible way.