View Single Post
Old 06-25-2022, 10:32 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Enchanters still charmed in groups but it was not done with any regularity. usually charming was done to try to break spawn in a difficult camp. But even if an enchanter was capable and wanted to keep a charm pet they would be scolded by the party into getting rid of it, because charm pets "Steal exp" and can make enemy corspes go "poof". I never saw any of that happen but because some idiot on the forums claimed it happens everyone believed it. there was also the reality that simply keeping a charm meant you were steaing a spawn spot for the group to gain more exp, and no one wanted that -- including the enchanter. lower guk with 200+ people in it ws not an oddity on fennin ro.
So you agree: in classic Enchanters didn't charm regularly, here's it's expected. And don't try to explain it with nonsense rumours: I've never once heard of charm pets poofing corpses and such, and neither did 90% of the servers players I'm sure.

There was lots of misinformation in classic, but it was dispersed. A comment on Allakhazam might say one thing, while one on Caster's Realm might say another, while a person in-game might tell you a third thing. People believed all sorts of different stupid things, and I'm sure someone (besides you) believed the "poof" thing ... but I never once heard anything about charm pets making corpses poof, nor have I seen any mention to it in any of the hundreds of guides/comments I've read trying to find proof that Enchanters aren't classic here ... so I highly doubt that's the reason groups didn't charm.

Again, the reason was that it was harder and more dangerous. It's probably a mix of hard-to-nail-down-exactly mechanics here being not quite classic, and yes also some of it also has to do with Internet connections being flaky. But ...

A) tons of people had good connections (eg. the bulk of the top guild on Bristlebane, Club Fu, used a T1 ... I know because we all played at a shared gaming center); connections can't explain everything, and ...

B) If the change in connection quality changes one class so much ... and again, every other class here fundamentally plays the way it did in classic: Enchanters are the only class played fundamentally differently on P99 (Druids and Necros still primarily solo here, Warriors and Clerics still primarily group, etc.)... and the goal of this place is to make things classic ... maybe we should tweak the one class that isn't classic to be more classic, regardless of the origin of the unclassicness.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 06-25-2022 at 10:35 AM..