View Single Post
Old 06-24-2022, 10:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I didn't know about the clarity thing, but as for stuff like having a crappy connection and staring at the spellbook ... magicians, necros and druids all faced those same challenges, and yet they were all known for being solo classes (who still grouped sometimes of course).
it's irrelevant to necros and mages, since the way they generally solo'd gave them a solid cushion in the case of a lag spike or even disconnect. You see, people actually played anticipationg the fact they would get massive lag spikes or even disconnects when they were soloing. It was a real thing you had to deal with or -- or delevel. Also a big part of the reason enchanter often opted to not solo charm even if they had the capabilities to do so.

Druids are a special case, in that if they were trying to charm or quad kite, they would indeed find themsleves in the same situtation as enchanters -- get a lag spike/disconnect and enjoy losing 8+ hours of experience loss. No level 49+ cleric was going to randomly trundle by and wipe your ass with exp rez. And thats why despite all the bullshit claims of druids quad kiting it was almost never done regularly for exp because the risk benefit ratio was complete dogshit for 95% of players. A similar throughline is found with the fairytale of "swarm kiting" bards in vanilla . It's just a fantasy that never happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Enchanters weren't: they were a majority grouping class, and in groups they were not charming because it was too risky. Here it's so safe Enchanters get yelled at if they don't charm a pet ... if you can find one who isn't soloing to group with [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Enchanters still charmed in groups but it was not done with any regularity. usually charming was done to try to break spawn in a difficult camp. But even if an enchanter was capable and wanted to keep a charm pet they would be scolded by the party into getting rid of it, because charm pets "Steal exp" and can make enemy corspes go "poof". I never saw any of that happen but because some idiot on the forums claimed it happens everyone believed it. there was also the reality that simply keeping a charm meant you were steaing a spawn spot for the group to gain more exp, and no one wanted that -- including the enchanter. lower guk with 200+ people in it ws not an oddity on fennin ro.

Quote:
Again, I'm not saying Enchanter solo charming didn't happen, or shouldn't exist here: I'm just saying the numbers (as smarter people than me have suggested, the channeling numbers for instance) somehow need tweaking to make charming at least bit riskier again.
Fucking with channeling will just make enchanters stronger. Color flux is a thing -- a thing only enchanters have access to.