View Single Post
Old 05-30-2023, 12:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was more thinking of adventures off the beaten track than quickly and efficiently. Thats the advantage of statics is you can arrange to go to zones which aren’t considered quick or efficient and enjoy them on their own merits.

The disadvantage of such spots is they are unfamiliar and can often leave you cut short, lost or stuck and mage simply has a better escape rope imo.
I do agree with you, Gate is a very handy spell. If both the Shaman and the duo partner are brand new to P99, Mage is a good pick for the class's simplicity. You aren't going to be twinked in this situation.

My point was simply that if you are short on money (can't afford WC cap or Gate Potions), then you probably aren't going into zones like Dalnir, unless you prefer the challenge over leveling speed. New players would probably stick to the more common leveling areas, since those are fresh experiences anyway. If you aren't a new player, you can probably afford the WC cap or Gate Potion for the occasional emergency.

As Toxigen and others stated earlier in the thread, Mage is basically just a DPS class in this duo. I was simply expanding upon those statements, which is why I was comparing the Mage to a Rogue.

If the Mage Epic was easy to get, I would pick Mage over Rogue.

A level 60 Mage without Epic is doing 60ish DPS with a Water Pet, + 35 DPS from boots of Bladecalling. With the Shaman slowing, your Damage Shield DPS is only about 5 DPS, so you are doing 100 manaless DPS at 60.

A level 60 Rogue with Epic and a good offhand is doing around 133 manaless DPS. On average the Rogue is better, with the Mage being able to burst for more DPS occasionally, at the cost of needing med breaks here and there.

A level Mage 60 with Epic is doing 90ish DPS with Epic pet, +35 DPS from boots of Bladecalling. The Mage would still be using their castable Damage Shield on the Shaman, so you won't get any boost in DPS from the Epic Pet's superior Damage Shield. An Epic Mage would be doing 130 manaless DPS on average, which is basically on par with the Rogue. At that point the Mage is better, since they have the same average manaless DPS with the option to burst.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 05-30-2023 at 12:51 PM..