View Single Post
Old 03-13-2020, 10:35 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Absolutely. Kunark feels exactly like what it's supposed to be: a lost continent for the player to discover and explore. Its zones are huge and mysterious, filled with ancient ruins and secret tunnels. The abundance of undead dungeons really serves to reinforce the idea that this is an ancient land, with a rich and detailed history for the player to gradually uncover through quests and lore. Kunark feels very alien compared to the classic zones, but not in a bad way (i.e. Luclin). Whereas classic is focused on a high fantasy vibe (think Lord of the Rings), Kunark introduces more of a low fantasy vibe (Conan the Barbarian). Kunark very much has a frontier feel. With the exception of the Iksar themselves, one is far from civilization here, relying entirely on literal outposts to function as cities. Everything else is either dangerous dungeons hidden underground or huge open zones teeming with mobs.

The only bad things about Kunark is that melee weapons are a little overtuned (although this is less of an issue if the original timeline is followed as opposed to multiple years of stagnation Kunark like Blue had) and that the Iksar race should have had some kind of drawback to balance it out, particularly for Monks and Necros (I would have liked to see Iksars stat capped at 200, for example).

But yeah, overall Kunark was absolutely the pinnacle of EQ. Every expansion that followed lost the purity of simply being made as an exciting virtual world to adventure in, and design began to be centered around building loot and raid treadmills instead.
I personally think planes of power and kunark were the best. Planes of power was exciting as hell when it came to out! Man plane of Earth with all those scary giant ass crocodiles and creepy music