Thread: Game Mechanics: Faction hits and sorting.
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2018, 11:45 PM
Planar Protector

Have been having some relevant success on establishing some kind of chronological order in the database. However, there are a handful of exceptions that cropped up which tell me that isn't the sole method, perhaps factions were stored in different tables that could be joined or queried in different orders and affect the sort.

Thus far it seems like the Primary Faction (first faction hit shown) determines the sort order. For instance, I may see CircleofUnseenHands hit above AntoniousBayle for one primary faction, but on a different primary faction the display order is reversed. Have seen a wide range of values on those faction hits and feel it is reasonable to conclude the value of the hit has nothing to do with the sort order.

I'm trying to see if the text value of the faction can convert to a number and find some correlation, but I'm starting to go a bit too Beautiful Mind on this.

If I had some insight into how the faction tables and faction hits are setup then maybe I can make more sense of it.

For now, I'm just going to try and log the display order for each primary faction in Classic-Velious. If a dev wants to throw some 'fill in the blanks' code for how you want each primary faction to display I can post that when complete, and hopefully can alleviate some burden on implementing (a lot of faction to dig through, probably a 2-3 month project when all is said and done).