Thread: Push and gating
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2021, 04:14 PM
Planar Protector

Default Push and gating

So, I've been wondering.

Why did we remove push? Anyone who played this video game back then knows push was a thing. It is precisely why Hate was so much harder than Fear - you had to push, the spite golems, clerics, and encs especially.

Lady Vox. How did you interrupt her CH? Everyone put on fast weapons and pushed.

Which made me remember another thing. Gates.

Why did we remove Gate from Aaryonar, Jorlleag, Zlandicar, Klandicar, and others? They all gated. Even when you fought them on their spawn point. Over and over. It healed 20% health each time. How did you prevent it? Push. For Aaryonar, you fought at the top of the ramp, clerics around the corner, and had to strategically push him back and forth along the wall, that's part of what made that fight so hard - the constant flips, and if he gated, you were screwed. I distinctly remember you had to swap sides precisely every time his gate was interrupted, otherwise he'd either gate, or you'd push him into the Clerics, or you'd push him into the drakes. This is why NToV was so hard to "break" - learning the Aary push was very difficult for most guilds, then it opens up a sea of free loot dragons.

Klandicar - gated back to his spawn point in the middle of the valley. That's literally what made this monster hard. He feared and gated, making it difficult to push.

Zlandicar - c'mon, anyone who played during Velious must remember this one. Zlandicar was one of the hardest fights in Velious because of the required push. AoE stun AND fear, plus and annoying place to fight. If he gated, you'd then get stuck in a loop of him gating over and over once he got back to low enough health. Also, he casted Necromancer spells.

All these monsters gated on p99 Velious release. All these monsters were interrupted by push at p99 Velious release. Velketor is an even more obvious one. You fought him in his room, the only way to win was to out-push his gate. Hell, even Cazic Thule gated.

Searching around, the only proof I can for changing push was Haynar simply declaring it so.
Last edited by eisley; 11-07-2021 at 04:19 PM..