View Single Post
Old 01-26-2024, 02:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I experienced JBB until (I think) level 56. Mob hp got higher and it was a choice between standing there clicking JBB (+/- adding my own dots) and either trying to let dog tank or simply face tanking. Dog would not be reliable in holding aggro, so it meant the mob was on me.
Lets set a basic scenario. You are a level 58 Shaman. You spend 30 minutes in combat, and 30 minutes pulling/recovering/waiting for respawns.

Average mob DPS at that level after being slowed is around 10 DPS at worst I believe, looking at some quick fights. 10 x 1800 seconds = 18000 HP if you are face tanking.

A level 58 Iksar is going to be regenerating at +17 HP over Barbarians/Ogres, assuming you canni dance perfectly for 30 minutes straight. This is 5100 HP.

This means an Iksar who is root/rotting and never gets hit is saving 23100 HP in that time frame at best, assuming perfect play. Using Cannibalize 3 (better before Torpor due to faster cast rate, easier to canni dance with), that means an Iksar is saving 11781 mana at best.

If you click JBB 6 times per minute, that is a total of 180 clicks. 180 clicks = 47340 damage.

47340 / 1648 (damage done from 1x Bane of Nife) = 29 casts x 425 mana = 12325 mana saved from casting damage spells.

A Shaman who is face tanking is also saving mana by not casting root. Assuming you are fighting 1 mob every 2 minutes, that is an additional 1500 mana saved minimum by not spending 100 mana per root on paralyzing earth.

If you are having your pet tank while you sit and recover, you'll need to slow the mob, just like when you face tank. If you don't you'll need to spend time controlling your pet by backing it off, which lowers DPS.

Baseline you are looking at 11781 mana saved (Iksar Root Rotting) vs. 13825 mana saved with a Shaman who is face tanking with JBB. The JBB + face tank strategy is easier to use than perfectly canni dancing at all times (less APM and worrying about server ticks) and never getting hit while root/rotting. Realistically you probably will miss some server ticks, so the 11781 mana value will be lower in practice. The number of root breaks is going to be greater than 0, so JBB is realistically saving more on root costs too.

Now, you will say "but spell resists". I can tell you from experience that JBB rarely gets resisted on trash mobs while leveling. I honestly stopped maloing while leveling because it wasn't necessary. The opportunity cost of getting a single resist from a Bane of Nife is also higher than JBB. A resist on JBB costs no mana, a resist on Bane is 425 mana.

JBB + Face tanking is giving you a 15% boost in mana over an Iksar root/rotting without Epic assuming perfect play. Realistically it is higher since perfect root/rot play with perfect canni dancing is harder to do.

As I said, trivial to disprove.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-26-2024 at 03:00 PM..