View Single Post
Old 06-08-2023, 12:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmas [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I feel like a lot of people have no clue about knights in raids. I don't hardcore raid really anymore and I can't exactly speak for SKs but Paladin always felt super useful on raids. I'd tank trash mobs and snap agro made things so much faster. Plenty of times I'd have to pick up dragons when warriors died or be ramp tank. I did a lot of healing. Smart rogues/monks know if you can get a Paly to heal you that's more dps than getting torpor. I also snapped agro on pets, helping enchanters a lot (loss of pet health bars sucked). Finally, knight dps isn't great but it can be decent and present when an extra person of a different class doesn't add much of anything. I remember on a Tunare beating some 55-56 rogues.
The thing about Knights in raids is simply that most big guilds have enough Warriors to cover both main tanking and off tanking. So typically a Paladin is used for SoulFire/Divine Strength, and SKs are used for some specific pulling scenarios in specific zones, like VP. I am not saying Paladins/SKs can't be useful in raids as offtanks. I am not saying Knights are not used as offtanks in raids. I am simply saying the P99 meta doesn't support Knights very well. Generally speaking if you need more healing, log a cleric. If you need more DPS, log a rogue. If you need FD, log a Monk/Necro. If you need tanks, log a Warrior.

When a Paladin/SK is offtanking, the raid is not concerned about their DPS. You can do zero DPS and have zero complaints, as long as you kept the trash off the squishies. That is why raid DPS isn't very relevant to this discussion. Obviously all DPS helps kill a mob, but when you are healing other people, casting spells to get agro off other players, etc., you aren't doing DPS. That is fine, because your job is not to DPS.

I am not saying Paladins do poor DPS either. My SK does 50-60 DPS with https://wiki.project1999.com/Ancient...ched_Flamberge self buffed with just auto attack and procs. Paladins and SKs do the same auto attack damage, so both Paladins and SKs can probably push closer to 70+ DPS with Tunare/Vulak weapon and raid buffs. That's honestly not bad.

DPS is not the only factor that goes in to how well a class works. I don't think anybody is saying Paladins suck because they have lower DPS thank SKs. Paladins like yourself and others have done some very impressive solo stuff, and we aren't trying to downplay those capabilities.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 06-08-2023 at 12:46 PM..