View Single Post
Old 06-06-2022, 05:14 PM
Fire Giant

This is my third iteration of playing P99 on linux and will post here for those that might have still issues.

I have other guides for the old Lubuntu 17 and the 18.10 , right now on version 21.04 and this time I found out that due to the advances in wine+lutris it is even easier THAN EVER to play on linux.

If you have any modern distro, like Ubuntu (and variants like my fav Lubuntu) or Mint , you can install LUTRIS right away.

Lutris will automate everything for you.

All you need is the game client patched with the latest P99 files, install it anywhere you like within your HD and then point Lutris to it.

Once you install lutris using your distro software/package management software (in Lubuntu it is called Discover) Load it up and press the + symbol

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Once that is clicked a new windows will pop up:

Fill these particular sections like this:

On Executable look within your folders for the EQ client and point it to the "/Launch Titanium.bat" location

On Wine Prefix point a location different from where the client is installed, in my case I installed the client to /Games/MMOS/EQ/P99 , so I pointed the wine prefix (the location for the virtual windows directory emulator) to /Games/MMOS/EQ/P99WINEPREFIX , which is a way to create a particular wine prefix different from all other games in wine I have already installed.

This is a good way to keep all your wine prefixes separated as each game needs special tweaks, dlls and packs and helps with troubleshooting. If you think I am speaking in Blackburrow Gnollish, then just focus on pointing lutris to a differnt location like I said before.

After that do this to make sure you can ALT Tab out of P99 to browse the wiki, forums or watch netflix in the same monitor iwithout issues:

On this tab, enable the WINDOWED Version and a bit below set the resolution you want. This will force the game to run within a windowed environment.

As you can see as my resolution is widescreen 2560x1080 I set it to that but you can change it to whatever your monitor resolution is right now. Most people with normal monitors in 2022 should have 1920x1080 as the standard, but thats just a suggestion, you should know which resolution is yours.

Once you do that the game will be super easy to Alt Tab (If I dont do this every single time I alt tab game borks up, so this worked for me) and play without issues.

There is no need to do anything different except those particular tabs. Please check that at the time of writing this the latest wine stable version for lutris is 7.2 .

But EQ has worked for me with many other versions. It has worked for me with 5.7 , 6.0 and 7.1 as well. If for some reason 7.2 does not work for you you can try those as well if you can find them.

A final word. Midi still has issues for me under Wine (this is due to the way my integrated sound card is , and this might happen to you as well) , even after trying to make it sound via wine through ALSA, so I had to fall back to my very own walkthrough for Lubuntu 17.10 which you can find here: https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=295681

If you read it, you can install Qsynth, a midi Fuidsynth frontend for Linux and then use a soundfont file to make mid files sound. You need to launch it before P99 also, else it wont work [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

And that should be all. Lutris by itself does most of the heavy lifting and you could playing in P99 quickly without the need to be a Microsoft slave haha.

Love to everybody!
----------------------------------
[center]
Last edited by Vormotus; 06-06-2022 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: Fixes, typos etc.