View Single Post
Old 05-30-2023, 07:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
> 2 pet classes for effortless, sustainable DPS
> both with very nice clickie nukes to boot
> shaman can slow so pet is barely getting hit
> pet has innate double Fungi regen + regrowth
> pets literally chainsawing through mobs barely taking damage
> mage and shaman getting some of easiest and most chill XP ever
> DSM somehow manages to fuck this up
I would be happy to see your numbers, instead of a pathetic attempt at an insult.

When Shamans have Fungi Tunic + Fungi Staff and/or Torpor, they are going to produce the superior mana to DPS ratios while face tanking. This is because Shamans have more resources to spend than other casters due to regen + cannibalize. It's better to put the larger mana burden on the Shaman, to reduce downtime on casters who can only meditate.

If a Shaman has none of those things, they still manage to equal a Mage chain summoning when it comes to DPS to mana ratios, but you kill the mobs faster.

One argument you could make for using chain summoning pets in this duo is when both characters are basically naked (no clickies or other good gear). When both the Shaman and Mage meditate while doing the bare minimum of casting (slow + root + /pet attack), you can get a more consistent cadence of monster kills, albeit at a slower pace. A lot of camps people like to do only have around 4 mobs though, so kill speed is generally preferred to maximize spawns per session.

However, you need to remember that the pets are killing the mobs quickly. My 2x chloroblast number was assuming worst case each battle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In a world where a sham is 60 with torp and a mage is 60 with the water pet it's pretty common sense to let the sham face-tank. If it's really nasty maybe throw both pets at it while you slow and debuff before taking over. You're probably leaving 25dps on the table just letting the mage water (no backstab) and wolf pet tank, or more if you're torping them. The fact that a PC will always take aggro over a pet while in range makes it much easier for a sham than chain casting flash of light.

A focused water pet at 60 does really good dps on blues. Like a high 50's rogue unhasted or most EC monks self hasted. The DS on the sham isnt great since the slow but its something, probably like 8dps or so. The mage can keep up 25dps mana free with a burnt wood staff or burst much higher as needed.

In the lower levels id prob slow the mob and throw the earth and wolf pet and heal as needed. The 57 earth is extremely tanky, especially on something slowed.

Chain summoning is a thing, I guess. You can still do it. It's just kinda gross and is more an emergency move than a solo method. Again, with torp at least. Once you get a really good pet its hard not to want to keep it since the spread is noticeable. The 57+ pets all regen 30hp/tick too so if you are slowing early even on fairly tough stuff they hold up just fine.

Note: I probably missed something but just what I would do. A mage and sham lacks some pulling options and CC but they are solid classes to pair in the right situations like killing geos.
Agreed, except for having the earth pet tank in the 50s. As you said earlier, you are leaving DPS on the table. But if someone can bring real data I would be happy to say I am wrong. Basically it's a numbers game between kill speed and mana regen rates.

Really early levels (40 or under), it doesn't really matter what you do. You will tear through the mobs.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 05-30-2023 at 07:31 PM..