Thread: Work
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2022, 11:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There is a strong correlation between retirement and depression

Our work becomes our identity, saying what we do for a living is most often the thing that follows our name as our sense of self. It creates a purpose in life, and usually the satisfaction that we are bettering the lives of others as well with our efforts

Choosing to not be a “slave” to some employer will often inadvertently just leave someone a slave to their own short-term pleasure impulses, a slave to their own hedonism. Which is why you so often see the younger unemployed become addicted to short-term fixes like illegal drugs

I recommend when retiring still creating a sense of purpose and structure
There's a strong correlation between having a job and being depressed too. Correlations are pretty broad.

If I could make ends meet by doing absolutely nothing all day, I would do that, but I can't so I don't.

I probably won't really get to retire. Maybe these job things create a sense of purpose for you, great. I take pride in the things I create and get fulfillment from that, I do not experience pride related to work whatsoever. It's just what gives me the ability to do whatever else.

All this nonsense about the glory of drudgery seems like the modern worker's way to express what is capitalist exploitation propaganda. Learning to love our chains and all. Americans have internalized it wholeheartedly. Mike Rowe has done tremendous damage to us all on behalf of the Koch brothers, along with a whole other retinue of villains