View Single Post
Old 09-23-2020, 03:55 AM
Kobold

The only way a new red server will happen is if they have a good enough reason to.

I think compiling ways to make the server interesting, helping them imagine it and why they would want to build something like this. We can't have a server created that follows the same path that leads to now; or the negative cycle continues. I'll put in my 2 cents if it matters, in terms of maybe a shot in the dark of what the devs are looking for. How can we generate things that would attract: players. Ones that are completely new to eq; new to eq pvp; blue/green players...

Suggestions:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirgon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Make the xp real fast...
I think this and a lot faster course to Velious, or even starting the server on Kunark is what might draw players. A slightly faster, or a moderately faster experience, that sort of ramps up the staleness. PvP will slow things down for some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Classic only, FFA, each year dump into Red1 and reset
This is the best answer to it all, keep cycling it, each new server merges with current red, with maybe different rules each time. Sort of like how Path of Exile is doing it with their different leagues. For those unfamiliar with PoE let me explain their leagues quickly. copy and paste from here:

Quote:
- Standard is the default league and has no modifiers.
- Hardcore has the hardcore modifier, meaning characters who die are moved to Standard. Hardcore is equivalent to permadeath in other RPGs, though characters and items are not automatically deleted.

Temporary leagues have a set duration, which can vary from 12 minutes to four months. They are usually defined by specific modifiers or features that the permanent leagues don't have. When a league ends, the characters are not lost but transferred to one of the permanent leagues.
Now I'm not asking for Permadeath, like the talked about Discord server, I'm talking about the way they merge new content in to the original league servers they have.

Here's a visual for yuo.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Obviously we need to expand the timeline for a big game world like EQ, but something similar could help revitalize the game. I would maybe say a timeline of at least 2 years, for a merger then a launch of a new server? Maybe someone else can chime in with a better figure on time.

It's all repayable content.
Also this system not only keeps people spiking in server population which is good for p99, but it also revitalizes and incentivizes people continue to play on base servers that they will be eventually merged into. It gives people a fresh environment to sort of quarantine their experience away from the nekbards. Keeps cycling in legacy items to the base server every time a new server is merged.

The ideas for different leagues/server rules could just follow the different Zek's:
http://web.archive.org/web/200206051..._rule_sets.jsp

We can certainly build a bigger case for newRed(Orange) considering something like this, that will enable the longevity of base and new servers.
Last edited by Shac; 09-23-2020 at 04:16 AM..