View Single Post
Old 07-10-2022, 10:22 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by commongood [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So I suppose people wanting a chanter nerf either want it to be impossible to charm solo stuff beyond a certain threshold or for it to be much riskier than it already is?

And this is because it may or may not have been different back in actual 1999-2001? But the evidence is not completely compelling? Or it would have already happened?
People want classic EverQuest: the thing in the upper-left corner of this site.

Classic evidence is hard to find: we've had things unclassic here for over a decade though, which finally got fixed ... because again, the goal of this place is to make it classic.

Enchanters are clearly not classic here. Simple proof: go to a CT raid. On P99 it's all about charm pets, with guilds racing to collect the most pets when CT is contested ... but then go look at the Wayback archive of CT's page on Allakhazam. Even in 2003 you won't find a single mention of charming.

Here's how people fought CT in classic:

Quote:
To prepare, cancel all the buffs you have on and, when given the signal, place 4 disposable buffs (or "crap buffs") on yourself. My personal preference is to use J-Boots first, as you can quickly reactivate them after they are debuffed. At the command, begin normal buffs. Put Dead Man Floating or Levitate on as the final buff, as this negates his Gravity Flux damage. Wait for the call, and charge him and kill him. Not really much to it. Like dragons, casters want to wait until the halfway mark to begin casting on Cazic Thule while the tanks work it down for the first half. Cazic isn't very magic resistant, so casters are going to do really well here. He hits for 400 sometimes so he's a pretty rough melee MOB. He also death touches people every 30 seconds. If you have a lot of magic resistance, they're a slim chance you could survive this, but it's not bloody likely. Tanks are essential. They MUST interrupt him using bash, stun, etc. Casters, when not casting, have to stay out of melee range. Healers are an absolute must considering how much damage Cazic will do to the tanks and how long they have to fight him. He has the ability to dispell buffs as well, but the worst part of this is the MOBs in the zone running at you. That's right. The moment he's attacked, he will summon everything left in the zone at you. This is why you want to do Cazic last. You want to clear all the MOBs in the zone that you can away before taking him on. There's a big trick to doing Cazic though, and that's Fear. Cazic is extremely susceptible to Fear spells. If you keep him Feared and just plow him with large scale DoTs and such, you can't fail.
Now I know the excuses: "Enchanters didn't try using their spells back then". Not true. Everyone had terrible Internet connections. Also not true: the top guild on my server (Club Fu of Bristlebane) mostly played out of a cyber cafe with a T1 connection.

People could have charmed tons of mobs for the CT fight ... and for lots of other fights (eg. in every group they were in) ... but they didn't because charm was dangerous in classic.

Whatever the fix, whether it's with channeling, charisma, or whatever ... something needs to be done to make the Enchanter class classic here. Otherwise it's like we're playing a completely different game from the '99-'01 one.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.