View Single Post
Old 06-23-2022, 02:14 PM
Planar Protector

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/supreme...ond-amendment/

You no longer need to prove proper cause to obtain a carry permit.

Quote:
The New York permitting law at the crux of the dispute dates back to 1913 and requires residents seeking a license to carry a gun outside the home to demonstrate a "proper cause" to obtain one, which state courts have said is a "special need for self-protection."
Can you guess how many people qualified for this special need for self-protection?

Now I don't think this means we will soon see cities full of people carrying pistols everywhere they go but WOW.

What I instead think will happen is the opponents of the second amendment will do everything they can to pack the court so the outcomes are in their favor.

And this:

Quote:
Writing in dissent for the liberal wing of the court, Justice Stephen Breyer noted the rise in gun violence in the U.S. and ubiquity of firearms, and warned that states working to pass more stringent firearms laws will be "severely" burdened by the court's decision.

"In my view, when courts interpret the Second Amendment, it is constitutionally proper, indeed often necessary, for them to consider the serious dangers and consequences of gun violence that lead states to regulate firearms," Breyer wrote. "The Second Circuit has done so and has held that New York's law does not violate the Second Amendment. I would affirm that holding."
I think is incorrect. You cannot consider the consequences when interpreting the constitution. What matters, constitutionally, is whether a law conforms to the constitution or infringe on the rights guaranteed within. That's all that matters. Does New York's law infringe on the second amendment's right to bear arms? It certainly sounds like it does. Whether or not it's wise in this age of gun violence, the second amendment says the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. It's right there plain as day, right?

Yes I do think it's foolish to hold so sacred a document that was written in the age of muskets, but that's not what the Supreme Court is for. Gun opponents will need to repeal the second amendment to win this, and if that happens it means the secession of most of the south + Texas, Oklahoma etc. and the end of the United States. On the flipside, allowing people to carry guns even easier in this age of this declining country and society may lead to mass gun violence on an unprecedented scale.

Interesting times we live in. It's not just about the memes anymore.
Last edited by MrSparkle001; 06-23-2022 at 02:20 PM..