View Single Post
Old 03-15-2023, 10:55 AM
Planar Protector

Default Necromancer as Primary Healer?!?

Unlike many necromancers, I much prefer to work in a group than pure soloing. It gives you a chance to try different strategies beyond the ol' DOT/fear/slow combo.

I've been in several parties where I've ended up the only person capable of restoring health to the other party members (Dark Empathy at 8th, Shadow Compact at 20th, etc, etc.). It also works well when you partner with a melee class.

Set up your spells so that you focus on all the ones that deal with your health and mana. The DOTs, like Leech; the life transfer spells, like Lifetap; the mana restoring spells like Dark Pact, Allure of Death; and of course, your 'healing spells'.

That leaves you a few slots open for misc. stuff like Fear/Screaming Terror for crowd control, direct damage spells, and buffs for your pet.

The trick with necro healing is that is isn't mana intensive; instead, it's based on your health. As long as you've got it, you can give it away.

So, while the melee classes are beating away, you start draining the enemies, and then transfer your life to the team. Many of the spells are efficient, they just work slowly.

Run a health/mana spell on your self; cast health/health spells on your party, and the suck life away from your targets, keeping your life in check.

The trick is to start early. Start healing people right away when they start to take damage. Don't wait until they're almost dead - your spells don't work the same as a cleric.

I've found in many parties without a strong healer, you can do the job in a pinch. Of course, having your pet as an extra tank is always an asset to the team.

And with a single melee partner you can use this strategy with almost no downtime. End every fight with 90% mana and ready to kill more.

My regular group members are spoiled. They've worked with other necromancers who don't use the healing capabilities of the class. Some even REFUSE to cast healing.

Playing the healer is one of my favorite roles, and I'll often volunteer to do it.

Strategy Submitted on: Tuesday, January 16, 2001

Reposted on: Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Thanks to Typhuss Boneshaper, Saryrn

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung