View Single Post
Old 01-26-2022, 11:41 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh one last point, in regards to costs, and the importance of having insurance:

From looking at or hearing about other procedures, it appears that there is a back and forth negotiation that occurs between both the socialized (Medicare, Medicaid) and private insurances and the biller. There will be an original statement like “you owe x”. Then some unseen haggling/negotiation occurs and often another statement will come saying “you now owe y”. The health insurance still hasn’t paid anything yet, but in cases I’ve seen due to that negotiation, the next statement can be half or less as much as the original

Two things I am not sure in about in regards to this negotiation between payer and biller:

1. It very well might be a factor in healthcare costs. Not sure if the biller artificially inflates the cost expecting the paying insurance to lowball them. Sort of a chicken or the egg argument, was the lowballing driving the costs up or was it a result of the high costs?

2. I do not know if you are even able to do this price negotiation as an out of pocket payer. If not, that is a HUUUUGE reason to try to have health insurance
Dentists will do cash discounts if you pay in full within X days. Varies.