View Single Post
Old 02-02-2023, 06:04 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

As with many experiences in classic, what's accurate during any given patch/expansion may not be accurate during another. What was described by Rog(u)ean from memory could have been possible, even the norm, at one point and then all but impossible later in the timeline (then reverted back to being possible again, as you suggest). Those details need to be figured out though. And while worth considering, player memory is not as reliable as testing and providing links with screenshots, firsthand descriptions, or logs from twenty plus years ago.
I agree. And I think it's very possible the following could have happened through velious:

1. the devs implemented a mechanic that had a (probably) unintentional effect on the book of souls quest
2. the devs either didn't notice, or didn't care, for entire expansions that the nature of the quest had fundamentally changed
3. the players were shrouded in enough fog of war/ignorance at the time that none of them noticed the book was never up every time they ported up to get it or cleared hate, and they had to sit there and wait hours for it every time.

but I think we would need some pretty convincing and consistent evidence to support this.

there is also the discussion of the spirit of classic vs actual classic, as we have seen with lots of mechanics on this server. clearly in the thousands of books collected on this server, not once in the past 10 years has anyone ever said "hey, this book shouldn't be here...on live npcs just grabbed it..." because even if thats how the quest worked through velious on live, clearly very few if any people perceived it that way, and instead experienced the quest as a book sitting up in hate they had to go collect.

contrast that with p99, where mechanics are immediately metagamed and min-maxed on contact, and we are talking about fundamentally changing the nature of the quest. it will now be about taking a raid force up to clear maestro room and installing a rogue to stare at the book waiting on its specific respawn, probably recording it to a discord bot, and then the next rogue or flopped monk can prepare to snag it at the exact moment it respawns before the respawning trash can pick it up. so in emulating a classic mechanic, we've done absolutely nothing to emulate a classic experience, and have probably just given more work for the guides to do with people clickfesting the respawn in a cleared zone, and increased its value to MQ resellers. is that worth it?

If we just read the actual quest text we are immersed in the rogue class and the clearly intended quest experience:

"You say, 'What book of souls?'

Yendar Starpyre says 'The Book of Souls chronicles all the lives Innoruuk has tainted over the years. It is in the care of the Maestro of Rancor. I can use this tome as a basis for my translation, if you return it and the note to me. An experienced practitioner in the art of non-detection should be able to snatch it from its resting place, don't you think, _____? (grin)' "

I'm sorry if I'm shitting up the thread with opinion and subjectivity but I think if we're talking about changing something as fundamental as a classic epic quest we should be taking a wide view context and a very demanding burden of proof.