View Single Post
Old 03-06-2021, 05:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horza [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I wish that I had enough faith in the American electorate to assume we'll have UBI by the time I'm dying of poor health in my seventies.
i don't put my faith with the electorate, more with savvy politicians who will push the issue knowing it will make their positions very stable. Like social security, once passed it would be untouchable. And they who passed it will be re-electable for 40 years.

plus intelligence services / tech lobbies / natsecurity people will want to calm down domestic unrest when we start dropping workers from entire industries and replacing w/ robots. And as of this moment, MMT says there is literally no downside and tons of upside to pumping money into the economy. Peep the record stock market as we had one of the worst years ever, but pumped. The market seems only to love state spending and take-home checks. So not only will you have thinktank "intellectuals" and economists advocating UBI, you will have the very largest corporations, whose lobbies will advocate it as a means to minimize the blowback for laying off tens of millions of workers and consolidating further. Add a few unemployment riots and 8 more years of boomers dying off and the pressure mounts, resistance declines. I really do believe it's coming, masochistic electorate or not.
Last edited by imperiouskitten; 03-06-2021 at 06:13 PM..