Thread: Strafe run
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2019, 04:11 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChairmanMauzer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Again, I don't see what the problem is. If its a benefit, use it. If you don't think its advantageous to do so, then don't.

What you shouldn't be trying to do is to handicap others down to the level of your personal preferences. That's not cool. As strafe running IS classic, and if it is advantageous as you claim, then its sounds like the solution is for puller #2 to get with the program. This person's lack of understanding of the mechanics of the game isn't group #1's problem or anyone else's.

Also your scenario 1 is a tad skewed. I've definitely died to mobs while strafe running. It's hardly foolproof.

As for ranged weapons, there's pretty much never been an incentive to use those on here as they simply aren't effective or practical beyond pulling. Given we will never have AA's here, they never will be. So again, this has nothing to do with strafe running.
I still think there would be more incentive to use ranged weapons if there was more motivation to keep distance from mobs. As it stands, you can create a gap with the majority of mobs in game using this mechanic pretty easily during pulls. Especially useful indoors where you can’t get sow.

In the scope of an immersive online world, how does this mechanic make sense? Was it initially intended?

I don’t think my scenario is flawed one bit. Yeah you can screw up strafe running and die, but if you compare group 1 & 2 over a course of time the people strafe running will inherently have a less risky experience. It’s also, in my opinion, incredibly easy to do.

I didn’t think being denied the use of an exploit was considered a handicap either. I don’t really feel like this is solely a personal preference. If anything it’s fun to imagine what the game would be like without it and it’s cool to see different people’s take.