View Single Post
Old 07-29-2022, 06:51 PM
Fire Giant

Awww, thanks for the shout out lol. Nice to know you’re thinking of me.

Here's why high speed trains can be better than planes, in my not so humble opinion.

Let’s say you’re checking a bag. How much extra does that cost with the airline? I would bet that if you take that cheap easyjet flight, and actually book it with a checked bag, it's going to be a lot more than what they're advertising. Those cheap advertised flights are also usually only at shit times. Train has no baggage fees, weight limits, or restricted items. And with the airline there's a chance that your bag doesn't show up at the destination. It's happened to me a few times, and it's aggravating and inconvenient as fuck.

Where are the airports in relation to where you’re going, or coming from? Usually airports are anywhere from 30-60 minutes from downtown. Trains usually drop off directly in or near the downtown. So while planes might seem faster, sometimes that’s an illusion.

Taking a plane means you need to suffer through the airport experience. Gotta get there two hours early if you’ve got bags to check. Even longer now with how fucked airports are currently. Theres multiple lines you have to wait in as you go through baggage, security, and passport control. Then with whatever time you have left you wander around aimlessly, try to relax at your gate, or spend too much money on shitty food. And you have to deal with a bunch of other dipshits. Airports are full of dipshits. With a train you show up a few minutes early and walk right on the bitch.

Airplanes are also miserable. Cramped seats and recycled air. Food is terrible. No way to escape the screaming baby two seats over. Etc. Trains are much more comfortable, and have way more room to move around and stretch. The Shinkansen in Japan is a delight to ride in. You can bring your own food and booze onboard. Usually wifi on the train is free, or you have cell service the whole time. There’s nice big windows to stare out of, and if you’re lucky some cool scenery. When I went Amsterdam to Paris I looked up where the WWI western front was and made sure I noticed when we passed over it. It's just a bunch of farmland now, but still it's cool to look at.

Trains aren’t always better, but sometimes they are. Depends on a number of factors.